BC Boards

Brat!

Little Brat has started resource gaurding this week. :rolleyes: She has to eat out of our hands for a week like she did when she was a baby. (we did this when she was 4 months...Hand feeding should re-remind her who gives her food) She gave me a warning nip when she was eating today and i touched her. I swear I wish I could talk to her and ask her what the *&%&** is wrong. She started putting her agression towards her food since we stopped free feeding her, i was worried this would happen, but if we leave her food down in the middle of the day and we are not there she will have an accident. Arggg this would be so much easier if the darn claims adjuster would finish up his investigation and tell us if he is going to fix or total our car.-- Then I could budget in the Behavioralist appropriately.

****Thanks for letting me vent. ********

Agree about the 'trade-up' game. In the early stages of this game, make sure that what you're offering in exchange for her giving up something she has, is of higher value than what she has. The first few times, you might have to toss the good stuff near her, and then when she lets go of what she had, give her a bit more of the good stuff.

I would also consider putting a small amount of pretty boring food in her dish, and then going up to add small amunts of pretty yummy stuff. The idea of this approach is to convince her that you (at first - but then any human) going near her food bowl is the source of wonderful things. If you're doing this, and she gives the slightest sign of resentment, I would give a 'sad' NRM - like "Oh, too bad", and remove yourself and the yummy stuff - put it on a counter where she can see it, and sit down with a coffee or something for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to do the free-feeding thing - I'm not a fan of that anyway. I like meal times to be part of the interaction between me and the dogs. As you say - reminds them everyday of who provides the good things in life. :rolleyes:

Little Brat has started resource gaurding this week. :rolleyes: She has to eat out of our hands for a week like she did when she was a baby. (we did this when she was 4 months...Hand feeding should re-remind her who gives her food) She gave me a warning nip when she was eating today and i touched her. I swear I wish I could talk to her and ask her what the *&%&** is wrong. She started putting her agression towards her food since we stopped free feeding her, i was worried this would happen, but if we leave her food down in the middle of the day and we are not there she will have an accident. Arggg this would be so much easier if the darn claims adjuster would finish up his investigation and tell us if he is going to fix or total our car.-- Then I could budget in the Behavioralist appropriately.

****Thanks for letting me vent. ********

Nevermind

Thanks for the advice guys. I know this is part and parcel with the fear agression/ just plain aggression, but sometimes you need to hear hear somone else to refresh you. I did learn the other night that my "no" maybe scaring her. She smlied at me (not in a good way) and I ehh ehh-ed her instead and she gave me a look like correcting her growly smile was a new thing. I can only assume she is scared of my no's. I will have to trade up and start ehh ehhing instead

Just wanted to add that the "trade-up" method worked wonders with Bingo and his bones. He only did it with me, but once I worked on him with this method he completely stopped. We still refresh ourselves on it, because now any time he has a bone or a Kong with PB, he always tries to bring it to me and put in it my lap! :rolleyes: