BC Boards

They ate raisins!

Shadows Mom

The dogs got into some raisins while we were at the store, 4 of the larger sized 'snack' boxes. We aren't sure which dog ate them, or if both did. Any suggestions what we can do? All the stuff on raisins and grapes being toxic has me worried (even tho our labs ate grapes everyday and lived to be 17). Should I just keep my eye out for odd signs?

Thanks folks.

Have you called your vet? If so, what did they say?

There is something wrong with grapes and raisens anymore, and nobody seems to have an answer. I too, fed my dogs grapes and raises for years, but now I wouldn't go near them. Pesticides? who knows, because even organic ones have made dogs go into kidney failure.

You should call you vet to be sure, but my first course of action when a dog has eaten a potentially toxic food is to immediately make them throw it up. Warning...you should never make a dog throw up a food that could hurt him on the way back up (i.e. if he swallowed bleach, or cooked bones). When in doubt call the vet...and call him anyway even if the dog is throwing up the item.

Side note...Dinah stole a bottle of medication out of the closet last year and I caught her finishing off the pills - 10 times what a dog could have - and to complicate matters it was 2 AM!!!!. I made her throw up with hydrogen peroxide and started syringing Toxiban (activated charcoal) into her as fast as I could while my Mom called the vets emergency number. I would recommend anybody with dogs keep the stuff and learn how, and when, to use it. The vet said we saved her kidneys, and possibly her life. The closest vet to us that was open was 30 minutes, and that's a *long* time with a belly full of bad pills.

Dinah said she was sorry....sheesh :rolleyes: Let us know how your guys do.

Guest WoobiesMom

Can you get Toxiban over the counter? Do you have to tube the dog or can you just squirt it down their throats as fast as possible? Guess I should ask my vet. Do you just give them straight hydrogen peroxide, like from the grocery to make them vomit? Does it work on cats too? Evil Milo is the foreign article eater in the house. We found a glass Christmas ornament (well, shards of one) in his feces last year. And he showed no sign of distress whatsoever! :rolleyes: Stupid cat.

Hope your dogs are okay! Are they showing any distress?

Can you get Toxiban over the counter? Do you have to tube the dog or can you just squirt it down their throats as fast as possible? Do you just give them straight hydrogen peroxide, like from the grocery to make them vomit? Does it work on cats too?

Excellent questions. Anyone???

I bought that bottle over the counter at Jeffers Vet as as "just in case". Now I keep a bottle on hand.

Tubing would be ideal, but you would have to be trained and have the supplies. I am trained, but I don't keep the tubes here...I just used a syringe and did it slowly that way. Yegads it's messy! Your vet's advice plus a simple first aid book like "The Dog Repair Book" by Ruth B James DVM Amazon Link Here is a good thing to have too.

I know nothing about what works for cats. They do I agree, have a fetish for the shiny and the plastic too. My friends cats ate the tinsel off the tree one year and had a sparkly holiday litter box for weeks. No ill effects :rolleyes:

I use peroxide...straight 3% peroxide....1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of dog. (very important that there be no potentially sharp objects in the stomach...bone frags, wood chips, hard foods, etc.)

Down the throat....then I run the poor dog around the yard until the vomiting starts. Then, when the dry heaving stops...when the stomach is truly empty...(give it 15 minutes) have him/her drink lots of water, and have water available the rest of the day. I've used this with a major chocolate episode...

When in doubt, call vet. I've not heard of Toxiban....in a situation involving a serious, potentially fatal overdose, I'd peroxide immediately and then off the the ER.

....in a situation involving a serious, potentially fatal overdose, I'd peroxide immediately and then off the the ER.

If possible, of course, but unfortunately, we live quite a few miles away from the closest ER if it's after hours. And if it's during business hours, we still live 20-30 mins away from their vet.

Thanks, you guys! I hope I never have to use this info but I'm glad I have it just in case.

BTW, lenajo, I've ordered the book.

My vet isn't around until Monday and I can't afford the E vet unless its dire ($500 just for them to look at the animal, last E vet visit was over $2000). Luckily they seem fine, both playful and normal acting. Could be because they ate a box of activated charcoal right after the raisins :rolleyes: This is why Shadow is SUPPOSED to be in her crate when we go out, she will eat ANYTHING... like the furniture. She got the raisins out of a cupboard she shouldn't have been able to reach, and the charcoal was behind a closed door on the 'servants stair' we figure the cat opened the door and the dogs decided charcoal was yummy. I called one of the vets I used to work for, and she said just to keep an eye on them and watch for odd behaviour, she's retired, so she has no clinic to see them at. Why can't they get into things on convenient days when my vet isn't off? :D