BC Boards

Umbilical Hernia

flrpwr52

Kya is being spayed and having her hernia fixed at the same time this Thursday. I been through many spays but never a hernia, can anyone tell me what to expect?

Will the healing process be longer and will she be more subdued for a longer time?

I will of course ask the vet but I'd like to know what others have gone through.

Keep her in your thoughts please.

Try not to worry, Kya will be fine. I've never been through the surgery for a canine, but my son had an umbilical hernia when he was born and after the procedure he healed just fine. I suspect keeping a puppy quiet will be a little tougher than a 3 mo. old baby, however. :rolleyes: Best of luck.

Regards,

Minnie had an umbilical hernia that was stitched at the time she was spayed at 6 months of age (11 years ago). She was in quite a bit of pain, and found it difficult to move or find a comfortable position. She wasn't sent home with any meds other than antibiotic so I ended up calling my vet after hours that evening on the emergency line to find out what I could give her to help manage her pain (I believe this may have been prior to availability of rimadyl). She bounced back after that initial 24-36 hour stint post surgery. I believe she may have had a slightly longer recuperation period. My suggestion is to be sure pain management is discussed at the outset.

Incisions heal side-to-side, not end-to-end, so a 2-inch incision and a 10-inch incision heal at the same rate of speed. Every dog is a bit different in terms of how they handle a spay, but in general a hernia surgery done at the same time isn't very much more impact.

Depending on the size of the hernia and how they like to place their incisions, they may just lengthen her spay incision to incorporate the hernia, or they may make two incisions. Either one is fine.

I personally wouldn't let any of my dogs undergo a surgery like this without pain meds, since there are a number of good ones available now. Pain-free dogs heal faster, and of course there are humane reasons for this as well.

Hope she does well and has an easy time of it.