BC Boards

Agility Training in Colorado?

Anda

I ran a few searches online for agility training in the Denver area, but I am still confused. I'd like to find something close to where we live - Centennial, South Denver.

Anyone here familiar with the agility arena in this area?

I am the one that needs to comit to going on a regular basis, and since I am always working long hours, it might be challenging. But I think Ouzo deserves a chance.

I found something here BSKD but you have to take a lot of pre-requisite classes (basic obedience class) in order to get into their begginer agility. Would they not do a one-on-one evaluation of the dog to see if the class is needed or not? Basically it sounds like a dog of Ouzo's age has to be registered in the CGC class before starting agility.

I think I need to find a place where to simply drop in and take a couple of very begginers classes and see how we like it...

If you want to PM me with more information, I'd be very glad!!!

Thanks!

P.S. I've also send an enquiry to someone who does herding testing (out of LittleHats.net, but haven't heard back from them)

Anda

Thank you, Dana!!!! I will check out that group and will probably contact you as well! I haven't forgotten about your invitation from last year to try flyball, but I'm trying to check out one (or two) activities at the time!

Anda

I know nothing about the area, but most places are willing to evaluate your dog before they say what classes you must take. They just have to be really careful of people who want to jump right into agility without any previous training whatsoever.

Good luck!

Ooohh, I would love to see Ouzo do some agility. :rolleyes:

Hi Anda,

Who did you contact about herding? I know a few people who might be taking students on...

You might not have gotten a response because most folks were out of town between Aug 31 and Sept 10 for Steamboat and Meeker.

Also, have you gotten a good response re agility? I have a good friend very active in the local agility community (Dana knows who I'm talking about) who may be able to recommend intructors/classes as well...

Laura,

I've contacted Cathy Balliu, from Valdemarfarm, she is in Fort Lupton, CO. You might be right, people probably were busy with all the big trials.

Please PM me if you know anyone that could help me out in figuring if Ouzo is right for sheep or if sheep are right for us :rolleyes:

I haven't checked out yet the yahoo group that Dana recomanded, it's on my to-do list! :D

Thank you!!!

I found a place that trains agility very close to where we live ( www.intriguegoldens.com ) and we'll go for our first lesson (introduction level) tomorrow. I hope Ouzo will have fun! I saw they have a BC as well, in addition to Goldens, so I hope they are experienced in handling this breed.

Wish us luck!!!

Hey Anda,

I've done three agility classes with Derry, (my red and white about Ouzo's age,) and I have to say that I'm totally sold on Liz Blasio at Progressive School for Dogs up near Greeley for agility and obedience. Her classes and teaching were just awesome! Only problem is that she's kind of far from you. Wish I could give you a closer one. Hope things work out with the one you found.

http://www.progressiveschoolfordogs.com/home.html

-jay

I am so excited to go there tomorrow!!!

Plus, icing on the cake, I finally got a call back from Cathy Balliu ( THANK YOU, LAURAE !!!! :rolleyes: ) and we arranged to drive there this Saturday and see how Ouzo will be reacting to his first encounter with sheep! YAY! Since she said she will be doing the "driving" in the pen, I will probably be able to take pictures while the "magic" is taking place :D

Thank you all for the support and advice, I really, REALLY appreciate it - and will probably, very politely, ask for more later!

I am one happy Anda this evening (just returning home from an extended happy hour does not have anything to do with it, I swear :D )

• 1 month later...