BC Boards

How Do I Prepare My Dogs For My Absence?

I'm going in for major surgery, next week on Tues 9-11. I will be in the hospital for at least three days.

I'm worried that my two will freak out. I mean these guys suffer if they're separated from me, while I'm in the bathroom because I've shut the door...lol. They bang on the door and whimper. And I've never been away from them for a whole night in their entire lives.( They are only 1.5 yrs old but still.... :rolleyes:)

Now, they do okay home alone and uncrated when we all go out, but not sure how they will be if I don't come back right away that night. They are used to me being with them everyday since I'm disabled, what with my MS and Fibropmyalgia.

My daughter and husband told me that they were looking all over for me yesterday and I was only gone 6 hrs! And that was because my friend left his car lights on (and his battery died) while we were running around to all my pre-op testing appts. So we had to wait over an hour for AAA to come jump his car, and then after that, we had to go and go pay some bills. So it took forever...lol. Man the pups were glad to see me when I got home!!

Hi Beth

When you leave, make no show about it- perhaps the day before, put your stuff in the car. Say whatever you say when you normally leave for just a short time. It is good that they will be home when you are gone- that will help mitigate things. I wouldn't worry. I have had to leave my dogs alone when in the hospital- they were fine- they had eachother- it was I who pined for them. Surprizingly enough, my cat missed me the most. She meowed for several minutes when I walked in, almost like she was telling me all about it. Made me CRY I tell you. Home is where the family (that includes pets) is. You take it easy, and rest up- I know it seems dubious to say that, but it is good to be calm and rested before surgery. If you need anything, just ask!

Julie

I'm going in for major surgery, next week on Tues 9-11. I will be in the hospital for at least three days.

I'm worried that my two will freak out. I mean these guys suffer if they're separated from me, while I'm in the bathroom because I've shut the door...lol. They bang on the door and whimper. And I've never been away from them for a whole night in their entire lives.( They are only 1.5 yrs old but still.... :rolleyes:)

Now, they do okay home alone and uncrated when we all go out, but not sure how they will be if I don't come back right away that night. They are used to me being with them everyday since I'm disabled, what with my MS and Fibropmyalgia.

My daughter and husband told me that they were looking all over for me yesterday and I was only gone 6 hrs! And that was because my friend left his car lights on (and his battery died) while we were running around to all my pre-op testing appts. So we had to wait over an hour for AAA to come jump his car, and then after that, we had to go and go pay some bills. So it took forever...lol. Man the pups were glad to see me when I got home!!

I agree. Maybe you could take everything out the night before. Then they wouldn't see you take everything out. If they're like Black Jack he always knows when I'm going somewhere if I take everything out just before I leave. I'm sure they will do fine. Just think how happy they will be to see you :D The best thing is that they won't be in the kennel, which is way harder on them than staying home without you.

Best of luck on your surgery. I know everything will go good. You'll be home before you know it :rolleyes:

I have to do that when I leave for work. If I let him see me running around the house getting everything ready he gets really depressed. I can give him a cookie and he'll take it but if I tell him "I'll be home in a little while" he won't take it and looks the other way :rolleyes: He's my little shadow. He knows when he gets to come and when he can't too. Without me even saying anything.