BC Boards

What's all the confusion about?

Hi im new to this forum and read somewhere that a doggies diet is a heated issue on this forum and they wish not to say anything on what she feeds her dog. Why is this. I know there are 2 different thoughts on food; one being dry and on being raw. What's the controversy about? i mean whats the big deal. :rolleyes:

You are correct in your statement that there are differences of opinion about prepared foods versus raw diets. You are not correct, however, in your preconceived notion that this is a controversial topic. As with (almost) all topics on this forum where there are different opinions, the discussion is civil and informative. The only topic that does draw some degree of debate is the use of commercial prepared dog foods that are generally considered to be of inferior quality and hence unhealthy for dogs; but even in this case, the debate is cordial and, again, informative. It would be rash to judge a forum by someone's comments on another forum; you would be better served to participate in the discussions yourself and then draw your own conclusions.

On a recent thread, I made a passing reference to not wanting to mention what I feed my dog. Karl 808 quoted me correctly as using the adjective "heated" rather than "controversial." And I do think certain topics, one of which is diet, tend to become heated among Dog People (as opposed to dog people). Sometimes I think heated is great good fun and/or educational. Other times I find it tiresome with no one really listening to opposing points of view.

The only topic that does draw some degree of debate is the use of commercial prepared dog foods that are generally considered to be of inferior quality and hence undhealthy for dogs; but even in this case, the debate is cordial and, again, informative.

There's also lots of debate about when (if) to neuter, types of training techniques (Cesar Milan or clicker anyone?) and vaccinations. I'm not saying the debate gets nasty but many have strong opinions on such subjects. On the previous thread that Karl 808 may have been referring to, I didn't want things going off on a tangent since I feed two of my dogs one of those foods generally considered to be of inferior quality and hence unhealthy for dogs. That kibble helped my sheltie recover from IBD last year after a variety of holistic, generally considered very high quality foods did not.

I'm doubtful that this kibble is the answer for Quinn but felt compelled to try it since it appears he too has IBD. I'm not thrilled about the fact I may now have two dogs with this disorder or to spend a very large amount of money on scoping the poor guy to learn if this is the case. I also wonder why I may have two dogs with this disorder when I've tried so hard to feed them holistic, high quality foods. What am I doing wrong?

And I didn't want to hear anyone tell me how terrible the kibble I'm feeding my dogs is. I chose the kibble with fully informed and I think well educated consent :rolleyes:

Well, nothing wrong that. I'm sure everyone here is trying their best for their dog, otherwise they wouldn't be here on this forum. I'm sure everyone knows what's best for their own dog and would be foolish to consider what is right or wrong for any other dog that they don't own. But, rather may hold their opinions and deliver in a well mannered respectful way. Well everyone, well done and keep up the good work.

The maturity of your replies impresses me. I am humbled.

cheers,

Karl's everlearning Dad.

Guest WoobiesMom

Welcome Karl! Wait 'til you get a load of the threads on mandatory spay neuter legislation! Now THAT'S controversial! :rolleyes: But some people (like me) actually read all the posts and change their minds!