BC Boards

Oh I'm in trouble......

Guest WoobiesMom

I had a dog who went profoundly deaf as he got older and the last 3 or 4 years (we think) of his life he didn't hear anything at all. Dogs are very good at compensating. I did have to teach him hand signals because when he was young we mostly used verbal commands, but that was not really too tough. People were always surprised to know that he was deaf because he was extremely adept at reading body language. The only real behavioral thing we noticed was that he barked more often, sometimes for no real reason at all. We decided it was because he liked the vibrations it made (he couldn't hear it because we had him tested and he could not hear at all).

Good luck with your potential new dog.

It's nice that your son worries about you being happy- but it doesn't sound like you are entering this lightly or piling on animals like a madwoman. About the crazy pet lady thing I should probably amend my previous statement- I also have three cats. And three birds. And a horse. So- you're not doing badly at all. You're three mammals less crazy than I am. :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

Thanks everyone! We meet her next Wednesday when the trainer who works with the inmates returns from out of town. One thing I found odd was that I wouldn't be able to speak with the inmate she's been training with but rather will get the info from the trainer who trains the inmates. I *guess* that'll be okay, but I really like to know all the details and observations that the person who's been living with the dog can provide. Those little quirks and things funny or unique about the dog. I think I'll ask if the inmate can write this up and provide it in written form. Maybe I'll make a letter with questions and such for them to give to the inmate after we meet her.

I've already started practicing sign language with Woobie who is responding super quick. He even "performed" without treat motivation at the dog park, full of distractions tonight!!! Needless to say I was amazed and impressed the fellow visitors quite a bit (puffs chest out a little). :rolleyes: The shelter I got Woobie from and where Sierra first came into is having an exposition of their available dogs on Saturday at a local supermarket. Woobs and I are going to stop by to show off his success and to ask around and find out if I can get Sierra's "inside story" since the inmate program had no info on her. I'm curious if she was picked up as a stray or was an owner surrender (bad breeder tossing the deaf dog?).

Thanks again for all the well wishes!