BC Boards

What do we need to go to Canada?

Hmmm. I think you need your rabies cert., proof of vaccines, and probably a certificate of health (recent, within a month). That's what I had when I travelled cross the border with my cat. They didn't look at it too much, just checked to make sure I had the records.

Actually you need just proof of rabies. You only need an IHC if you are flying the dog or moving here with the dog (I don't know why).

They are very strict at the border for ID - you need two pieces and soon (or maybe already) one needs to be a valid passport. I would definitely call immigration and check.

RDM

Glad you posted this thread! We are taking a 2 week trip up through the Canadian Rockies and over to Vancouver in June. Allie is, of course, going with us and I have just started researching what all we will need. (And what NOT to try to bring across the border. )

I thought the passport rule was already in effect? I myself certainly wouldn't try to get across without one, haven't for a few years... they really started getting picky about things.

RDM - I flew with my cat so I was told I had to have a health cert... didn't know it was different for driving! (Which is weird.)

Here's a part of a news release regarding the need for a passport. It's due to be in place by the end of 2007. However, it's been years since I travelled without a passport. It just makes things so much easier!

WASHINGTON ? There'll be no wiggle room on new U.S. security requirements for travellers when Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay meets Thursday with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, American officials say.

MacKay, who will be meeting his counterpart here for the first time, suggested this week he intends to raise anew Canada's objections to a law requiring people to carry a passport or a new high-technology ID card by the end of next year.

But U.S. sources said President George W. Bush made himself perfectly clear at last month's summit in Cancun, Mexico, and Prime Minister Stephen Harper seemed to get the message that there's no turning back.

"There won't be any change on our side,'' said one official. "The administration is not going to go back to Congress and ask it to change its mind. It passed by a pretty large margin.''

There's also no way to delay the plan, part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, that passed in 2004, said the source.

Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day is scheduled to hold a meeting late Tuesday on the details with Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

However, the passport requirement applies to Canadians travelling to the US. It doesn't necessarily apply for US citizens coming to Canada. That part isn't very clear at all!

EDIT... US citizens will need their documents to RETURN to the US so you can leave without them...but you can't get home again!

After reading through the State Dept. material, I think we are all going to go ahead and get the passports. One of the ID's you have to provide when crossing, if you don't have a passport, needs to be a certified copy of your birth certificate. Well, if you have to get that, you might as well go the extra mile and get the passport. Then you won't have to worry about hauling around the certified birth certificates (which would be a disaster if they get lost or stolen) - much worse than a passport (which at least has a photo).

.... Did I mention that I no longer have a passport? Zoe somehow found it, pulled it out of my purse, and chewed the corners off. :eek: Now it's a pain in the butt.... because it's a Canadian passport, and I'm in the US, so I have to do all this stuff to send off my application. I guess I kind of had to anyways, the old passport was in my maiden name.... but still!

PS, does anyone know if the US Green Card is adequate instead of a passport? Because as far as I know I can't get a US passport until I'm a citizen (which won't be for years yet), which means I need both a US green card (to show that I'm a legal resident) and a canadian passport (to show my identity/citizenship??)

As a BTW, we've had people turned back at the border from AK to Canada for not having the health certificate, and also had people tell us they got into Canada without a problem, but could not get back OUT of Canada into the lower 48 without the health certificate. It may depend a little on who's manning the border that day and if they're in a mood to be strict. Not sure on that.

When I drove through Canada in the 90's to move up here the border people (of both countries) could not have been nicer, and the Canadians in partcular were extremely helpful in advising me on the best road route. Later I learned that their diligence had saved me some significant hassles. Kind of makes me sad about the passport thing, not sure why... maybe it just makes it seem like more of a division.