BC Boards

First Hare-Today Shipment Arrived!

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

I received my first shipment from Hare-Today.com and the meat was of excellent quality. The packaging was great and everything arrived fully frozen. It even smelled so good raw that I had all 3 animals swirling at my feet as I divided it up and put individual servings into the freezer and prepared about 3 days worth for the frig. I got 5lbs of ground turkey and 5 lbs of ground chicken and the cat food nutritional additive. The grind was very fine, much finer than store bought burger, not even chunks or fragments of bones visible, which is what I wanted. The 5 lbs of chicken plus the additive made so much food, I think the cats will be eating off this stuff for weeks! Especially with mixing it in with their canned food. I mixed the turkey with a veggie broth slurry that I whipped up in the blender. At about 8 oz servings, there's about enough for 10 days for Woobie. I mixed about 3 days worth with chunked cooked chicken that I've been feeding him for about a week now.

The cats took a few licks of the pure raw and then left it, but Woobie scarfed it like it was caviar and kept bugging me for more! I don't think the conversion for him will be difficult at all. The cats will get a bit mixed in with their canned food to start out.

On the allergy front, the darned dog has another ear infection! I'll give this a month or two and then decide what to do next, I hate to put him back on Benadryl but these darned allergies have made a reappearance!

Aside from your regular veterinary recommendation, you might consider looking into a product called Zymox Otic. I got some of this for Sammie and did a treatment and his typically yeasty ears cleared right up.

I've only had to throw in a squirt in each ear every couple of weeks to maintain since doing the initial treatment.

If you google, you can find more info and how to get it.

I've never had a dog with an ear infection, but I remember reading somewhere that there's a very effective homemade treatment. I Googled this, and found a number of sites that recommend a vinegar and water wash... I don't think this is the one I read about before, though! It was something really simple, and apparently took care of the problem for good.

Good luck.

Mary

Guest WoobiesMom

We got drops from the vet which I'm glad are external. He could only stomach 7 days of the oral antibiotics we got last time before he started vomiting alot and went off his food. :rolleyes: Poor guy. I've been using an ear wash about every 4 to 5 days but this thing came up overnight. I was just checking his ears yesterday (which I do nearly everyday now) and they looked pink and clean. Then this morning I noticed him digging at it and it's full of dark brown goo! YUK!

The cats came around to the food tonight once it came to room temp. I'll have to remember that. I had read that they don't normally like to eat cold food but since they eat their canned food from the frig I didn't think of it.

I'm going to give the yogurt a try. I don't know how I'll tell what exactly he's allergic to, but maybe the yogurt will help with these ears.

Guest WoobiesMom

He's off the cooked potatoes that I was adding but I've given him about 1 cup of Natural Balance Duck and Potato kibble over the past week and a half-ish and I was adding about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chopped meat stick of the same brand to the cooked chicken he's been getting.

Now that I see he's so happy gobbling up the raw grind from HT, I'm really hoping to see some improvement with removing the commercial kibble/loaf/canned altogether. It stinks I went and bought a gigantic bag to save $$$ but if I see marked improvement that lasts on the raw/cooked diet, I'll stick to that.

Sooooo frustrating! His stools are loose again too but I think that's because his diet has been high on meat and low on bone so far. I hope the grind helps that as well.

Guest WoobiesMom

He's not getting any presently. I was trying to get his diet as clean and limited as possible to try to isolate the cause of these symptoms. That's why I avoided the yogurt, etc. I'm just really stumped and frustrated. Someone at the dog park tonight said her dog suffered terribly for 2 years and then just suddenly got much better after his 2nd birthday. He had the same symptoms as Woobie, soft stools, ear infections, anal gland issues, etc. She tried every food under the sun, even added metamucil to his food for his stools, etc. I hope Woobie has a similar turn around, only sooner!

hi!

i've only just got back online properly a few days ago, so have missed any previous info you may have posted but....

are you sure its an infection? could it be ear mites? when my cat used to get them all the time (till we switched to raw hurrah!) the gunk would appear so quickly i swear we had ear gunk fairies at large in the house!

the best thing i found to relieve the mites till the raw did its stuff was a powder called thornits. i dunno if you can get it where you are, and you would want to check with the vets 1st before you used it, but a tiny pinch in each ear daily for a week was enough to do the trick!

Guest WoobiesMom

Well the vet said it was. We have drops but I'll check on the thornits and see if it's available around here. I hate it, now he's running away from me because he's always afraid it's time for the drops. He really hates them. :rolleyes:

BTW, I LOVE your quote!