BC Boards

Don Cherry the duck -

KrisK

Here are a couple of pictures of Don Cherry - He is moulting. Is this the way he should look?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/cric...l/moulting2.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b26/cric...rrymoulting.jpg

I still can't seem to get my pictures to attach here directly.. sigh...

He looks pretty ratty (sorry!). Generally when poultry molts (and I have most experience with chickens, since the ducks we had when I was a child are mostly just a memory), a new feather pushes the old feather out as it grows in. The old feathers that you find lying around when a bird is molting look to be in good shape (as good as they did when they were *on* the bird). The molting bird might look like it's missing all its tail feathers, but the feathers it has look normal. Am I making sense?

I don't remember our ducks every looking really bad when molting either. That said, though, I have never had muscovies, and maybe they just look diferent when they molt, but IMO he shouldn't be losing parts of the feather along the shaft (which is what it appears is happening), but should be losing whole feathers.

Can you consult with the person you got the ducks from?

J.

P.S. Below each photo in Photobucket should be three or four boxes with URLs in them. The bottom one, which says "image tag" or something like that, is the one you should click on and paste here, and then your image should show up on this thread.

thanks Julie,

I just discovered the 'right' button so I'm going to put the pictures here. The person I got the ducks from lives about 100 km. away but I think I'll try to contact her for an email address. He really does look really ragged!

moulting2.jpg

doncherrymoulting.jpg

Until foxes or loose dogs got them, the Muscovies on our pond looked a lot like that every year.

Can't tell about the mallard we had this year. He was either in the middle of the pond or out on the tree that grows parallel to and over the pond.

He looks a lot like the poor chicken we found last night...the poultry trucks fly by our place feathers wafting in the breeze...and every once in a while a chicken falls out of a cage and lands in the road or on our right-of-way... last night I found a young "fryer"... poor guy had road rash pretty bad on his breast but the worst was his wing had been caught in the cage(most likely) and was pretty beat up. I brought him in and put mild iodine spray on chest. He didn't make it through the night. I mentioned it to a duck loving friend and he's found at least three chicken truck fryers and they all usually die of shock or probably internal injuries from the fall. Their feathers are usually in sad state, as well as covered in :rolleyes:

My ducks are a mix of black/mallard/muscovy...they are young adults and haven't molted yet...with such a mix I don't know if I have a pair of drakes or a breeding pair...time will tell.

My Mom snatched up one alive from a roadside ditch - fell off the truck. He had a missing eye and a twisted leg from the fall, but he made it. And he grew, and grew, and grew, and GREW. That was the biggest chicken we have ever seen - bar none. And he'd chase the hens with a lurching gait, head turned to keep the one eye on his quarry.... :rolleyes: