BC Boards

House Training Advice

Guest LJS1993

Guest LJS1993

Okay guys, Tucker is working out well in terms of house training. However, there is one pattern that is developing. After taking both Frek and Tuck for their final time outside to use the facilities, this time being around 11:15PM, it seems that Tuck must go out one more time. This time seems to be around 3:00am. The issue is I do not want Freckles to start getting on this routine, however, she wakes up and really wants to follow me outside with Tucker. I leave her inside because I really don't want her getting used to this schedule since it is really impracticle for us to be taking two future adult dogs out at 3:00am every morning. Should I take both of them anyways? Will Freckles adapt once Tucker is old enough to control and hold more in his bladder/digestive system? Opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If it were me, I'd take Freckles along. She won't develop a habit to go each night at that time but she'll go if she has to. And as Tucker learns to hold it longer, she will too. Once the new wears off and she realizes all you are doing is just letting Tucker relieve himself, if she feels too tired and feels like she can hold it until later, she won't even want to go with you. But that just my opinion.

Guest LJS1993
If it were me, I'd take Freckles along. She won't develop a habit to go each night at that time but she'll go if she has to. And as Tucker learns to hold it longer, she will too. Once the new wears off and she realizes all you are doing is just letting Tucker relieve himself, if she feels too tired and feels like she can hold it until later, she won't even want to go with you. But that just my opinion.

Cool, that's kind of what I'm hoping for. Just really hoping Freckles doesn't expect this pattern to continue.

Cool, that's kind of what I'm hoping for. Just really hoping Freckles doesn't expect this pattern to continue.

I'm with ourboys on this one....we had this issue when Bo was a pup and just took the other dogs out too....didn't form a habit with them..can't tell you how glad I was when he got out of that peeing every couple hours puppy stage! Freckles will be fine. I think that it will actually help train Tucker quicker with Freckles along every time. Good Luck!

I used to take the puppy out, on lead, by herself, and then when I came back, if the older dog still wanted to go out, he would also go out. on lead, strictly for toileting, then straight back inside. That way, there wouldn't be any confusion about what the 'outing' was for. I can't remember now how old she was before she stopped needing that early morning outing - maybe 4 months or so.

My girl is now 5, and still very occasionally, will ask to go out at that sort of time. Same deal - she goes out, on lead, strictly for toileting - which she does, then turns straight back inside. If the boy needs to go, same deal. (I have wildlife in my yard, so I don't want them thinking they can go out and stir up the wildlife.)

I'd let Freckles go along too but I would not let the two dogs start playing - Tucker would potty and I'd bring both dogs in immediately. Sara (at the other end of the age scale from Tucker) needs to potty during the night and she goes out and is back in less than a minute usually. None of the other dogs even bother to get up.

We have a new puppy too who is about 10 weeks old. When she needs to go out in the early morning like that I only take her and leave the older dogs inside. They follow me to the door but then wander away when they realize that the outside time is for potty only and no fun is being had. If they really wanted to go too I supposed I'd let them but I don't really feel like they need to. Sol is very good and immediately does all her business and is ready to go back indoors quickly.

Olivia

When my pups were at that stage I'd take any of the other dogs out with them if they wanted to go. They never started playing around though because the adult dogs are used to sleeping through the night. Since they were woken up by me getting up with the pups they'd go out, pee since they were out there and then go back inside to bed when I put the pups back in their crate. None of them ever got in the habit of wanting out in the middle of the night once the pups slept through 'til morning.

I don't think she would start wanting out every night a that time. Once she knows he's holding it longer she probably won't mind waiting for morning again.

Usally I let Black Jack out at 4:30 am to go to the bathroom and play some. With it being so hot during the day it's only cool outside then. But if I don't let him out for some reson he's fine and just waits until morning.