BC Boards

Beach dog!

Is this the right way to introduce Shadow to the ocean? I walked out into the water and she slowly followed, took her about 1/4 second to figure out how to swim, then I swam with her and we went out to some deeper water (about 4ft deep) she swam for a bit then crawled into my arms and I bobbed in the water holding her for a bit. She seemed fine, and swam back in on her own after. She was shaking a lot, but I figured its because the ocean is a little bit larger and deeped and wavier than my bathtub. Should I keep doing it like this? Or is there a better way? I was RIGHT beside her and touching her the entire time. Never had to introduce a pup to the ocean before :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

Sounds good to me! It's good she followed you in and then swam back on her own. Was the water really cold? Maybe that's why she was shaking? Sounds like she had fun! I've never introduced a dog to water either, I'm trying to get Woobie into swimming in the lake, but I'm not going in, it's yukky! :rolleyes:

If she likes chasing balls, try that. This is what made Ouzo get in the water the first time we took him to a lake, at 4 months of age. That, and seeing a big black lab swim and retrieve, so he said to himself " I can do that, too!" and proceeded to getting in the water and swimming. I also helped this way another dog at a dog park get over her fear of water and after 10 minutes of throwing balls a bit further each time, she was swimming along Ouzo!

As young as she is, I think what you're doing now is fine. She might take in too much water at her young age if she tries to retrieve a toy. Let her concentrate on learning how to swim. Once it becomes second nature, then add to toys if she wants variety.

I think what you are doing is fine. Anda has a good suggesten to, about having her watch another dog. I've had Lizzie watch others dogs before and she'll catch on pretty quick.

Also, be carful since she's just a puppy and a few big waves could pull her under easily.