BC Boards

ok perhaps I'm dog-dumb

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

In people, too many cortisone shots in a joint can cause arthritis. Maybe it's the same with dogs. But from what I understand, when a dog has a hygroma, a cortsone shot in the hygroma can cause more harm than good. I'll try to find some info on it.

Cortisone shots don't cause arthritis but it can cause weakness in the tendons if administered too frequently over time. Cortisone shots should reduce inflamation in a joint. I personally believe Cortisone can temporarily cover up more serious problems. Our Springer takes Cosequin DS for joint pain. It does work.

Guest LJS1993
Geeze, kinda glad I read this, I've gotten a couple of cortizone shots in my shoulder for my bad rotator cuff, perhaps I should questions this, I was about to go in again, making it about once a year that I need them.

Once a year is fine. It's when you start needing cortisone shots monthly or even weekly when it starts becoming detrimental to your joint. I had a buddy in college that would need one every other week just to be able to pitch(baseball). Now that is when you have to watch out for trouble.

As I understand it, cortizone is a very effective anti-inflammatory and has its place in medicine, both human and animal BUT you need to know that it plays havoc with your immune system as it is an immuno-suppressor thus leaving you (or the pooch) wide open to other issues in addition to what has been explained above.

So, it should be used cautiously or at least with the understanding that there can be side effects. I personally think it's used a cure all much too easily as it's quick and cheap and it rarely does anything but relieve symptoms.

Maria

As I understand it, cortizone is a very effective anti-inflammatory and has its place in medicine, both human and animal BUT you need to know that it plays havoc with your immune system as it is an immuno-suppressor thus leaving you (or the pooch) wide open to other issues in addition to what has been explained above.

Maria,

That makes sense. The info I found in regards to hygromas, infection was a big worry.