BC Boards

MY BC MOLLY WALKS ON LEFT SIDE

WHEN WE GO WALKING / RUNNING MY BC[ MOLLY ] GOES TO MY LEFT SIDE,IF WE STOP FOR A SNIFF OR ANYTHING SHE THINKS ABOUT WHEN WE START BACK WALKING /RUNNING SHE WILL GO BEHIND ME AND TO THE LEFT SIDE WHERE SHE WILL STAY UNTIL WE STOP AND GO THOUGH THE SAME ROUTINE. ON A 3.0 MILE OUTING THIS COULD HAPPEN 4 OR 5 TIMES, I DID NOT TRAIN HER TO DO THIS. DO ALL BC DO THIS?

BOB MATHISON

Hey Bob. I'm guessing this whole internet and typing thing is kinda new to you, hunh? :rolleyes: Just to let you know, on the internet (emails, message boards, etc) it is considered shouting to type in all caps - and it makes your post very difficult to read. :D

How long have you had Molly? A lot of dogs are trained to walk on their owners left side - and some dogs just seem to like one side better than the other. Most of my dogs, given the option, will walk on my left side. I don't think its a border collie thing, but more of a dog thing.

In obedience classes they teach dogs to walk on the left side first. But if you didn't train it, then it could be just what happend without thinking. (always having the leash in your left hand for example).

Dazzle like the left better then the right - so that may be the case. I agree that it might just be a dog thing. Either way, I would consider working with her so she will walk on both sides with ease. If you were ever in a situation where it would be better to have her on the right you want that to be an option.

I teach my dogs to walk on the left side, as that is what is "correct" lol, but I have also taught my BC to go to the "other side", and so she walks on my right side alot too.

The reason for this is because the older dog has been walking on my left for 16 years as an 'only child-Ooops! I mean only dog. So when out with just Sophie she is on my left, although I will swop sides with her to keep her alert, but when we are with Lucy too, then Sophie goes on my right side, works for us.

Dogs should be trained to walk on the left side in obedience classes, if they may eventually compete in obedience trials, otherwise I tell my students it really dosen't matter. The most important thing is... if you want your dog to walk next to you just pick a word , I use,"close to me", or "walk by me" and pat my leg, with Phoenix some people prefer "heel" etc, what ever you choose just, be consistent. Pick a side and a word or phrase & stick to it.

My experience is most BC's prefer to walk in front of you. As long as he is not pulling me and walks nice, with an occassional reminder to "walk easy!", I let Phoenix do what he wants. Operative words, "walks nice"! If for whatever reason I want him close to me, he is real good coming right to my side, immediately when called. This is all on leash BTW. We are working on off leash commands.

If Molly has choosen to walk by your side with no effort on your part, I would encourage her to do so. What a smart girl! Praise her & say something like, "heel, or close to me", or whatever word to let her know you like her close to you, when she does that. I suspect as she gains more confidence on your runs or walks, she may eventually run a bit ahead of you (or not!) LOL, but make sure if she does, to call her back to you now and then with your chosen "word", and praise her, just to make sure she learns that if you want her right next to you, she should come, NOW!

Maybe some dogs prefer to walk on a particular side just as some prefer to run in one particular direction in a circle?

Speedy used to work nicely on both the right and the left until we started competing in Rally! I never punished him for going to the right ('cause I don't punish when I train, anyway!), but the left side became so rewarding that he "got" the fact that he was supposed to be there.

Well, now that we are learning freestyle, I'm trying to un-do that without much success.

I'll transition Speedy over to the right and he's looking for an opportunity to pop back over to the left. And once he's there, he looks up at me with an expression on his fact that looks for all the world like, "I know better than that - you really want me over here!" (Yes, I'm anthropomorphising, but it's not meant to be taken literally!)

Anyway, I find it amusing, which doesn't help, but I still get a kick out of it!

hehehe I have the opposite problem. I knew very little about training and foolishly let an instructor handle my dog who was then at 12 months forging when we were heeling. Couple of leash corrections later and she isn't totally comfortable being on the left side despite now nearly 5 years of positives and rewards for being there. She will offer it and heel nicely but still lags when I ask for it in situations like a trial :rolleyes: .

Ask for right side heelwork however (which was only taught using positives) she bobs along.

Sally and Ness