BC Boards

Natual Balance Dog Food Recall

Some Natural Balance dog food have been recalled due to the botulism recall.

A meat processor in Georgia has recalled more canned meat products that may be connected to a botulism outbreak.

Brand names of the recalled products include Austex, Best Yet, Big Y, Black Rock, Bloom, Bryan, Bunker Hill, Castleberry's, Cattle Drive, Firefighters, Food Club, Food Lion, Goldstar, Great Value, Kroger, Lowes, Meijer, Morton House, Paramount, Piggly Wiggly, Prudence, Southern Home, Steak N Shake, Thrifty Maid, Triple Bar and Value Time. The recall also includes four varieties of Natural Balance dog food.

The processor, Castleberry's, will answer questions about the recall at 1-888-203-8446.

Ahem. Emphasis mine.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2007-07-22 07:02:03

I saw this a few days ago on another dog site. Thank goodness I do hang out on dog boards - I NEVER watch TV or listen to radio anymore, much too busy. I had a can of the Bunker Hill hot dog chili in my pantry. Botulism, yum. :rolleyes:

Info from the Natural Balance website, which does not display a copyright notice:

Natural Balance was informed on July 21st, 2007 at 2:45 PM Pacific time by our USDA manufacturer, Castleberry Foods, in Augusta, GA, that they are doing a voluntary recall on all 15 oz. edible foods for humans as well as our Natural Balance Eatables for Dogs (Irish Stew, Hobo Chili, Chinese Take-Out and Southern Style Dumplin's with Gravy).

This voluntary recall is from one reported case of botulism in Castleberry's human edible Hot Dog Chili Sauce. Botulism is generally due to an improperly sealed can or a can that has become damaged, thus letting air inside. Natural Balance checks all of its cans for any kind of leakage, puffiness or damage before they are shipped, and we have found none.

However, to comply with our manufacturer, we are asking that you discontinue use and return Eatables for Dogs to your store for a full refund. We will give you more information as we get it.