BC Boards

Ted's Excellent Adventure

I've been waiting since I decided to keep his name Ted, to use that as a subject line somewhere . . . :rolleyes:

Ted had a great time at Robin's learning a new trick - keeping his cool in a packed pen of sheep! I've seen the packed pen used before but there was a nice twist to this that helped me learn, too - Robin went in with him and shaped his excitement into correctly moving them around. Biting was ok if the sheep stopped, not ok if the sheep were already moving and giving! Slow calm flanks work better than frantic zooming. Ted needs some more work but he sure was getting it!

And for the first time in a long time I kind of felt like I was getting somewhere working with Ted myself, out in the small pen. Robin did a nice job unwinding him first, which helped, and lots of specific instructions help - and patient repetitions ("No, don't leave your sheep!").

It's soooooo nice to get out with dog training friends again! Look out Robin, I fear I'm going to make a right pest of myself now . . . . :D

No pictures, sorry, I'm down to one set of batteries and I forgot to charge them. Definitely another time.

Non. Mes batteries d'appareil-photo sont mortes.

'scuse the dog-French, not one of my stronger languages . . .

Well gals...may be sooner than later. The problem really has been the car and them not knowing why I passed out while driving...so looks like I have the thumbs up now.

Car may be totaled after all of 2 months of deciding. We should know something more concrete this week. So Robin...let me know your schedule and I will work something in. I just won't have a dogmobile for a while longer...especially if we do have to get a new car (we may hold off until October).

I was thinking about you today Rachel, wondering whether you'd gotten that settled yet. Now maybe we will be next to get our car troubles settled.

I've got a plan to come get that bed SOON! My sister is eagerly awaiting it - it's just been scheduling problems as you know.

August should be fun!

Good Becca - I know you could use the bed. Just sometime before September 15th and it is yours.

Robin - I'm open the weekend of the 11th and for the most part the 18th. Probably the 19th is better for me. Let's plan on one of those two weekends...or maybe even both those weekends. I'll just have to snag some of your crates in your barn or tie the dogs out to the benches.

Or you can crate in my truck - I'll be there - and I'll get your puppers for you if you don't feel like walking to Egypt where I'll park so I can make a hasty getaway if it's Sunday. :rolleyes: Oh, wait, that might not work so well - I guess you might object to my taking your dogs to church with me. . .

I think the dogs might object if you took them from me...not the other way around!!! Mr. Keegan is a mama's boy and doesn't like to be left without me...although he liked staying at Julie's just fine while we were on vacation!!!

Speaking of dogs being left behind without me...I guess I better figure out who will take care of them the day I go into labor!!!!

I got a kick out of reading this because guess what Ted's sis BJ did this week? Work a group of 16 lambs in a small paddock. Guess great minds think alike! We practiced getting them out of corners, out of our lean to, etc. At one point they got all jammed up in the corner so tightly there was nothing she could do. I picked her up and dropped her in a small hole in the very corner. She wasn't the least bit intimidated by it and got them right out. (I wouldn't reccommend anyone doing this with a young dog in general --I just knew she was just fiesty enough to handle it). Now if I could just convince her that she can go "come bye" as well as away ...sigh. Good to hear he's doing well!

Renee