BC Boards

Your opinion on why dogs have "bad" sides

kelpiegirl

Okay, I admit, I can be rather a dolt when it comes to realizing certain things. I finally realized that my dog when sent on come by gets tight, but does her away very well, that for the most part- like most of the time, I always start her come by, not thinking about it. So, it always looks like her head is loose. Anyway, now that I see that she is tight on one side versus the other, why do you all think some dogs are this way? This is more a general question, as I don't have pics of my girl- hey, wait, I DO have some short video of her doing both sides well- but that was probably a mistake :rolleyes: Anyway, any insight on this?

Julie

1. Genetic

Are you "one sided"; right or left handed?

2. Training

Do you turn (while balancing) more smoothly in one direction than another? The trainer's ability and "holes" are impose upon the dogs they train.

I'm right handed and most of my dogs end upon being better on the come-bye side.

Renee is left handed and most of her dogs end up being better on the away side.

Mark

When I work Nash to the left, I am fine. When I work Nash to the right, I fall over.

It's sad but true.

:rolleyes:

I suspect he will turn out better to the away side because of it, he needs to cover me.

I am left handed, too.

Also, if you get a dog that runs out better on one side than the other, and you tend to always send that way at trials, it feels very awkward to have a different dog with the opposite "better" side. I'm still trying to get used to sending dogs out right after sending Spottie left for so long.

I think there's the added factor of how a particular dog deals with pressure. I suspect this from the fact that oftentimes a bad side will become not just good, but exceptional as the dog matures. And it's not always training, because I've seen it myself and I'm a less than indifferent trainer. :D

You can also accidentally switch good and bad sides by focusing too much on the bad side. No need to tell how I know that one. :rolleyes:

It all shows how much more complicated working stock is from the dog's point of view, than running mechanically in a circle.

I do agree that the handler can affect which side is better for the dog. I am deaf in my right ear and I am uncomfortable with people or anything being on that side so I probably tend to keep my dogs to my left side. Most of my dogs are better on the come bye side when they are young, I do work it out tho. I also figured from my old obedience days of keeping the dog on my left that I tend to have them on that side.

Kathy

1. Genetic

Are you "one sided"; right or left handed?

2. Training

Do you turn (while balancing) more smoothly in one direction than another? The trainer's ability and "holes" are impose upon the dogs they train.

I'm right handed and most of my dogs end upon being better on the come-bye side.

Renee is left handed and most of her dogs end up being better on the away side.

Mark

Now, your comment about right-handed vs left-handed is curious. I wonder what others feel about that. I'm a righty and Celt started out better on the Come Bye, but Bute seems more comfy with Away (although he's not too steady in either direction yet).

I really agree with the concept of dogs, people, horses, etc., having a better and a less-comfy side. I'm a righty and find I jump off my left let (not so much now that I'm a lot older, but in my younger days, it was my power leg), and right better on a left lead (and so I feel like most horses are smoother on their left lead, but I don't know if it's me or them).

Interesting thread!

"Now, your comment about right-handed vs left-handed is curious. I wonder what others feel about that. I'm a righty and Celt started out better on the Come Bye, but Bute seems more comfy with Away (although he's not too steady in either direction yet).

I really agree with the concept of dogs, people, horses, etc., having a better and a less-comfy side. I'm a righty and find I jump off my left let (not so much now that I'm a lot older, but in my younger days, it was my power leg), and right better on a left lead (and so I feel like most horses are smoother on their left lead, but I don't know if it's me or them).

Interesting thread!"

Both my dogs have "issues" (different issues) on the come-bye side. I've noticed when we are just out in the open and they take off to run, they both take a huge "away" flank. I was thinking it might have to do with their peripheral vision out of that side, but ...? Does anyone know why race tracks are traditionally "away" turns???

One of my friends wants in utero videos to see which way the pups are curved inside to see if that influences their "sidedness".

Let me expand on my thoughts on the training impacts on a dog's "sides"......

Being one-sided I find that I turn more smoothly in one direction compared to the other. When I say turn, I mean while wearing sheep. In one direction when I turn, the balance point changes more smoothly than it changes when I turn the other way. How I change the balance point while turning impacts how well a young dog learns to switch to that direction. A smooth transition of the direction of change in the balance point makes it easier and more comfortable for the young to learn to flank in that direction. A jerky change in the direction of the balance point can get the young dog excited as it tries to keep up with the ever changing balance point; this excitement can lead to learning to slice in on that flank creating a habit.

Mark

I am technically a leftie, but ambidextrous in that I use my left hand only for writing- everything else is my right hand. I think I am affecting her come bys more than I thought. I anticipate her slicing in tight, and thusly, lean in. I was taught to lean away- I should know that, but I always try and rush to push her out, which results in her being faster, and heck bent on getting to the sheep faster.... I have two other dogs who when excited will circle, one left, one right. Lucy doesn't endeavor in such common behaviour :rolleyes: so, I don't know which lead she prefers.....

Julie