BC Boards

How are you keeping your dog cool this summer?

Saying (all) horses are adapted to hot climates because the oldest breed (recognized by the western world) is from the desert is like saying that (all) dogs are adapted to cold climates because the Alaskan Malamute, an ancient dog breed, is from the arctic.

Now, saying that horses evolved in a climate that experienced extreme heat because they sweat is another matter altogether. My point, however, was that early domesticated horses were living in a climate that experienced both extremes, frigid cold and blistering heat. They needed to sweat in the summer and grow warm coats in the winter. Horses, like dogs, are a very adaptable species.

I suspect that if you took some of those Akhal Teke horses and moved them to a cold part of the globe, the genetic potential to produce a thicker coat would reveal itself after a few generations. (This is assuming that you don't maintain artificial selection pressure and instead allow mother nature to make the breeding decisions.) Likewise, I suspect that if you dropped some Malamutes in a hot part of the globe, the coats of their descendents would be thinner.

I hope you don't mind the friendly discussion. I love a good scientific debate. :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying (all) horses are adapted to hot climates because the oldest breed (recognized by the western world) is from the desert is like saying that (all) dogs are adapted to cold climates because the Alaskan Malamute, an ancient dog breed, is from the arctic.

Now, saying that horses evolved in a climate that experienced extreme heat because they sweat is another matter altogether. My point, however, was that early domesticated horses were living in a climate that experienced both extremes, frigid cold and blistering heat. They needed to sweat in the summer and grow warm coats in the winter. Horses, like dogs, are a very adaptable species.

I suspect that if you took some of those Akhal Teke horses and moved them to a cold part of the globe, the genetic potential to produce a thicker coat would reveal itself after a few generations. (This is assuming that you don't maintain artificial selection pressure and instead allow mother nature to make the breeding decisions.) Likewise, I suspect that if you dropped some Malamutes in a hot part of the globe, the coats of their descendents would be thinner.

I hope you don't mind the friendly discussion. I love a good scientific debate. :D

I don't mind at all - and I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, but I think we've talked enuff about horses for the Border Collie Boards. :)

I do think it's probably true that dogs lose more heat from their bellies, where there isn't much fur. The air can circulate around down there, and pull the water vapor away from the body more quickly. Probably the best way to cool dogs would be to constantly soak their bellies.

I also believe that the large veins near the skin surface in the groin area especially are important for cooling. It's one reason I will shave bellies and soak a dog in that region--to get as much skin surface are as possible and to get cooling water near any close-to-the-surface blood vessels. For the same reason I will soak the neck, making sure the water gets down to the skin.

J.