BC Boards

BC collar sizes?

Going to order collar(s) online possibly.

Whats the neck size of a 12 week old ish BC and full grown BC?

Thanks in advance!

It depends ALOT on the parents' size as to full grown collar size. My Maggie wears a 14 or 15" collar at 8 yrs old and she's 32lbs. I know another BC who has a 17-18" neck - he's a big male, around 45 or 50lbs I think. Puppies are generally about the same size, so I'd say 9" might be about right, perhaps a smidge larger or smaller depending on the dog.

If I were you, I'd buy adjustable ones rather than buckle collars since they adjust to a wider range of sizes.

It depends ALOT on the parents' size as to full grown collar size. My Maggie wears a 14 or 15" collar at 8 yrs old and she's 32lbs. I know another BC who has a 17-18" neck - he's a big male, around 45 or 50lbs I think. Puppies are generally about the same size, so I'd say 9" might be about right, perhaps a smidge larger or smaller depending on the dog.

If I were you, I'd buy adjustable ones rather than buckle collars since they adjust to a wider range of sizes.

Thanks for the reply.

Also how much will a BC weigh at 12 weeks old? Doing some crate shopping online.

(There are NO good pet stores near me)

If I were you, I'd get a 36" wire crate with a divider so you can just buy one crate for the life of the dog but still be able to block it off when the pup is small. I have a double door LifeStages crate (by Midwest) and I've been very happy with its durability and flexibility.

If I were you, I'd get a 36" wire crate with a divider so you can just buy one crate for the life of the dog but still be able to block it off when the pup is small. I have a double door LifeStages crate (by Midwest) and I've been very happy with its durability and flexibility.

Well size is a issue in my car. I really don't mind buying a smaller one for now because I have to drive about ten hours with the little guy on my way back down south after getting him. So I was planning on getting a smaller travel option.

I would get the largest size crate that you can easily fit in your car, that way you may be able to use it for a few months (having an extra crate will come in handy with a pup). I'd try to get something in the 24"x16"x14" range - Just be sure to measure your car first and make sure that size crate will fit.

You can always buy a crate where you are picking your pup up from. You can check ahead for store locations (Petsmart, Petco) to make sure this is an option for you. River now at 32lbs and 19.5" high and uses an Intermediate crate (medium size). But I got a small size when she was a puppy. She wears a 14" rolled leather collar. Diesel wears a 18" on smallest hole rolled leather collar. He's 43lbs and 21" tall.

The now infamous 'average puppy size' thread: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=2448