BC Boards

The trouble spot fact or fiction?

Foo Dog had a trouble spot, she was anything but trouble. (well 3 months to a year and a 1/2 she was but what BC isnt at that age?) Foo was easy to train, listened to commands, and the best dog i've ever been a pet to! So I'd say its an ol' wives tail.

*Edit* oh yeah! Ooooh poopies! Cute lil buggers, they are to cute!!

Definitely not truth. It doesn't go back to breeding to other types of dogs, and it doesn't mean they will be difficult dogs. It's a normal developmental color pattern. As the pup grows, the black may expand to join the spot to the black ear patches (which is what happened to my very un-difficult dog Spot, making people wonder why he's named that), or it may remain a distinct spot.

I'm not even sure it's an old wives' tale, since I've never heard it before, but maybe somebody else has.

strange.

From what I know they are called "kissing spots" and the like. I think I like that better then "trouble spot"! :rolleyes: That would be Fiction.

A lot of times the fur on top of the pup's head gets "smooshed" together when they get their ears going. The whole top of Dazzle's head used to be white but now it is just a sliver of white then her ears, so a lot of times the spots melt into the black but when they stay they are really cute.

It's very traditional to name dogs with those spots, Spot, which as Eileen pointed out leads to a long tradition of mature dogs named Spot for no obvious reason. I don't know what kind of "different kind of dog" the breeder would be talking about - the Border collie is made up of many different kinds of dogs way back when, but the fact doesn't make minor superficial throwbacks "trouble" - or any less of a Border collie.

Jen and her littermate Wick both had spots and Jen at any rate has been far from troublesome.