BC Boards

Microchips & tumors

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of cross county traveling this summer and thought I'd mirco-chip my dogs just for extra safe measures. They already have tattoos and I'll get better information on their collars. ( they're well behaved and reliable, but you never know )

My holistic veterinarian doesn't recommend micro chips. She knows of several dogs that developed tumors on the site of the micro chip.

I just did a google of - Implanted Microchips Cause Cancer. - there were several references to this.

Has anyone heard of this?

David

I'm going to be doing quite a bit of cross county traveling this summer and thought I'd mirco-chip my dogs just for extra safe measures. They already have tattoos and I'll get better information on their collars. ( they're well behaved and reliable, but you never know )

My holistic veterinarian doesn't recommend micro chips. She knows of several dogs that developed tumors on the site of the micro chip.

I just did a google of - Implanted Microchips Cause Cancer. - there were several references to this.

Has anyone heard of this?

David

I've worked for vets for over 10 years now, I've never once seen a tumor caused by a microchip (or at least not at the tumor site). I would say at least 80% of our patients are microchipped and all of my dogs are as well, including two cancer-free 13 year olds.

I believe the danger of being irretrievably lost is far greater.

Um, that's a new one on me. 'Bout the most I've heard has been the chips sometimes being hard

to find because they've moved some and the issue regarding universal scanners for the chips.

Right now US Customs has 750+ dog teams nationwide, all chipped and I've never heard of any of

our dogs having any problems at the insert site.