BC Boards

9 mos. and very fearful again.

Guest WoobiesMom

Guest WoobiesMom

My very skittish and fearful BC mix was doing so well and making such great progress. He turned 9 mos. on the 15th (about) and almost to the day reverted back to his freaking out, scared of his shadow, fearfulness. It's been pretty constant and is happening with the most innocuous thing such as me speaking in a low voice. :rolleyes:

Is this a normal age to have another bout of fearfulness? I'm doing all the patient, counter-conditioning things I've done from the beginning, but it's so disheartening and frustrating. Just when I was getting a little cocky thinking that we were licking this scardey dog thing and I feel like we're back at square one.

Here's a good link for you to read: Canine Developmental Stages

From that page:

"Second Fear Period (6-14 months): Many dogs will show a rise in their level of aggression (reactivity) during this time. They may become protective and territorial, and may make a new attempt to dominate owners. Incidents of teenage flakiness may recur."

If your dog has fear issues, regression can happen at any time. Speedy went through a terrible panic/phobia/fear episode when he was 4 years old. He had been doing so well and I had to start all over. And it was disheartening, but we worked through it and it was worth it in the end.

So, hang in there, be patient, and keep doing what you're doing. The good times are worth all the work it takes to get them through the bad times!

Guest WoobiesMom

Thanks so much for the input and the link! It is a bit disheartening, he'd just graduated from Level 1 in obedience and now he's back to start. Level 2 is dealing with distractions and he's back to freaking out. Oh well, it's not like I didn't know he'd be alot of work and require tons of patience, I'd just started to relax and get cocky. :rolleyes: