BC Boards

Competition Vs. Practice

I have two Border Collies who are very close to competing in Agility. The only issue is- when I get to a trial I am very nervous and it makes my dogs nervous as well. In fact- at the last trial I was at, my girl Faith actually jumped over the ring gates, ran around the arena, and then exited the building to intterupt a herding trial. Of course, I found her herding the sheep while the poor dog who's turn it was sat by and watched. Thats Borders for yah :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any suggestions for calming nerves at trials? Or- at least make my dog think I am calm.

Kelsey

Sig.jpg

This is just a guess here, but one of the primary things your dogs need to work on away from competitions, is impulse control. That is, thinking before doing. It's the thing that makes a Border Collie more than just a sheep-chasing machine.

This would make you less nervous because you'd trust your dog more. I've been there and know how it feels to be uncertain what will happen when the leash comes off. The answer is to ensure that your dog will wait for you, to decide to go do something.

Just tearing off and freelancing on the nearest sheep is not just "Borders for yah." It's puppy behavior. It's also unspeakably rude. A mature dog will be aware of the sheep but will wait for permission to work them.

I'd go back to this basic concept before continuing with additional training. Then when you do go back to training, it will be with a calmer dog that you can trust is listening, rather than going with half an ear cocked for something more amusing do to.

Good luck!

Well, from what you wrote I would say that they are not ready to compete. They may know the equipment, know their contacts, know how to run a course but leaving is lack of leadership, lack of compliance, lack of control and can be downright dangerous. Do you have any matches you can attend? I would work on the leadership relationship issues at a match before I took them to a trial. You getting nervous is quite understandable with the fact that your dog "leaves". You need to work this out and get a good leadership/relationship with her and then look at trialling. Go to trials and don't enter them, train there, work on the relationship.

As for stealing sheep......I would hope it only happens "once" - that is rude.

Karen

How long have you been training and how old are your dogs? Are you working with an instructor and have you competed in agility with any other dogs? What are your dogs' temperaments like?

Handler Nerves can be a huge issue and a book I found very useful was Agility Success that is sold at Clean Run. I always mess up the author's name so I won't try. But it is a very good sports psychology book for agility competitors. With time and experience, nervousness generally diminishes and handlers learn what techniques and routines work for them and also for their dogs.

Some dogs stress down (get slow, refuse to work, sniffing, leave the ring to get back to the safety of their crate) while other dogs stress up with zoomies, visiting, running out of the ring to engage in an entirely different activity. With brief description you provided, it sounds like Faith may have been stressing up. She may not have enough foundation, practice or confidence yet to do agility in all the excitement and stimulation of a trial setting. Why don't you tell us a little more about the training and experiences your dogs (and you) have had?

I would strongly encourage you to put off trialing for a while, try simply attending a trial as a spectator and allow her to observe what is going on around her. All the activity can be very exciting and stressful at the same time. Bring lots of yummy treats and reward for being calm and relaxed. I would start by sitting back from the ring and just let her watch the other dogs, and move closer to the ring as she relaxes with the activity. Being at a trial is totally different from trainning and it is easy for the both of you to stress. For yourself...breath and relax set acheivable goals for yourself in the ring. I've been trialing for over 10 years and still get excieted/nervous as I step to the startline, but have learned to shut the nerves down abit and just go with the flow!

I've been at sheepdog trials where even an open handlers dog jumped the fence and took over the run. It happens. Maybe stick with smaller trials or keep practicing and I agree with everyone about watching them with your dog for awhile. Dogs are so unpredictable. They humble us.

I know how excited you are to get out there and run. But just think how much better you and your dog will be if you wait until you're really ready to go.

My dogs that are competing are 5 and 6. They have gone through successful trials with me before- the awful sheep incident was a one time thing for sure. I know if I was in the sheepdog trial I would be very upset. As for the training- they have both been training for about 2 years now with an instructor. She told me that we should pick our trials wisely *thinks maybe we shouldn't go to trials with nearby sheep*.

We are going to a match this weekend. It is inside- and I am taking my 6 year old male who is much more calm and obedient.

Thanks for your input :rolleyes:

Kelsey

I think that avoiding the problem is not going to make you less nervous, or be a friend to your future training hopes. It is very rare that you can control all the external influences on your dog at a competition.

I had a Border Collie who was very sensitive to having her space challenged, even accidentally, by another dog. I competed in flyball with her, but before we went to actual competitions, we made darned sure that we were prepared for the worst possible situation not the best. Ie, a strange dog suddenly appearing in her lane while she was away from me doing her run. As it turned out, once she thoroughly learned her "job" out there, she tuned out everything, even a strange dog trying to steal her ball. She was also so tuned in to me, thanks to sheep training, that I could stop her anywhere on the lanes.

I say this not to brag, but to point out that it's not a breed issue, but a training issue. Properly bred Border Collies have lots of "Go", it is true, but they also have to have a lot of "Wait" - patience is a virtue when working livestock. It's a myth that Border Collies should be hyped up all the time. The breed ideal is a dog that can wait patiently yet spring into action when needed.

I have to agree with Becca, dont avoid the problem, you need to work to solve it. I work on these things every day, not in training, but in normal situations, whe we play fetch in the park I will randomly drop the ball with a "leave it" and keep going, my dogs must ignore it completly, and do whatever I ask in the meantime before I give them the "get it". when we walk down the street, my dog aggressive BC has to walk right by strange dogs, ignoring them completely the second "leave it" comes from my mouth. when we play fetch they get the "get it" command, and suddenly half way to the ball they get a "halt" and "come" in other words "I dont care how exited you are, stop what you are doing and come here". these are normal things that can be worked on in normal situations, just toss them into your normal play time. this way your dogs listening skills, and your control are constantly being improved, and because its in normal situations worked on constantly, it should have the same effect wherever you need it. as an added bonus, your play times wear the dog out faster, because you are forcing them to stop and use their brain in the middle of "loopy" mode lol