BC Boards

Cattle Finals Congratulations

Just wanted to post a note of congratulations to new cattle champions Roy Johnson and Sonny, reserve champion Steve McCall and Jessie, Tom Forrester and Pete in third (Tom and Pete won the second cattle run). and Steve McCall and Katcher in fourth. It looks like the runs went much better in the second go round than they did in the first. I'm proud of our guys from VA for such a great finish!

J.

Ditto that Julie- a friend of mine in VA, was impressed that the top three finishers were all from VA, and that her girl's father was one of them :rolleyes:

Julie

Just wanted to post a note of congratulations to new cattle champions Roy Johnson and Sonny, reserve champion Steve McCall and Jessie, Tom Forrester and Pete in third (Tom and Pete won the second cattle run). and Steve McCall and Katcher in fourth. It looks like the runs went much better in the second go round than they did in the first. I'm proud of our guys from VA for such a great finish!

J.

I will add HUGE congrats to the winners! The cattle were, for the most part, really tough--if you looked at the USBCHA website and the scores as they were posted, there were a LOT of 30's--both in the first 2 runs AND in the finals. That means they got their outrun points, but the cattle were so hell bent on returning to the put-out pen, that getting them down field was very often a real challenge, particularly when one was heading east at a dead run, another headed west at a dead run, and the third was willing to follow one of the first two, or do some other creative thing. The dogs just couldn't be in enough places at once to bring them down (ask me how I know this, haha!). The dogs and handlers were all great; it was a really nice field and trial site, even when the storm blew in and blew the metal hospitality BUILDING over (and snapped a power pole in the process)! (With a little help from a tractor the next morning, it was righted, and was still in remarkably good shape!) I think the trial hosts did a great job of putting on this finals, and it was fun, even if many of us didn't do as well as we had hoped or expected, :rolleyes:

Anna

Hey Anna,

I had noticed what appeared to be a lot of outrun/lift-only scores, which is why I figured the cattle were pretty tough (you gotta love the old "divide and conquer," or maybe it's "every steer for himself" philosophy that goes with cattle trialing). I hope everyone had a great time anyway. Can you tell us about the location (having never been to Wyoming I'm curious about the scenery!).

And maybe I should skip the sheep training and put Pip and Phoebe right on cattle--ha!ha! (that would be one way to do the little suckers in...).

J.

Yup, Julie--lots of nice outruns, and then hell on the lift! The scenery is nice; it was a pretty flat field, with some trees in the background. Lots of nice grazing land all around--green this time of year. I think there are some pics of the field on the finals website. On the way there, there were some patches of snow still on the ground in quite a few places. It got pretty hot during the day, but cooled off nicely at night. Pretty low humidity. The trial was literally on the Wyoming/Nebraska border. They have a great cattle trial series all over mostly southern Wy. in August that I go to every year and it's great. Pretty country, really nice folks. If I could afford to get out of here, I'd probably move there,

Anna