BC Boards

raw food question

My neighbor treated Cody to a raw, meaty, venison bone today and my daughter came home and scared the dickens out of me saying her bfriend's mom told her not to let him have it as it is a cause for paralysis in dogs? Can any of you raw feeders fill me in, I am scared to go to bed without an answer frorm experiencein here, as I never heard of this. He didn't eat it all, in fact, he ate some, and buried the rest, but if I get an answer I am scared of, I'll be out back digging it up to get rid of it-please let me know ASAP on this issue....thanks so much, Kathy

Wow-thanks so much-my dau was funny-she said, where's Cody-is he alright? And then proceeded to tell me the tale she was told-then she said, mom get on your BC website and ask your friends-they will know for sure....I won't rest till i know for sure-and I said me too, and I did....thanks so much for resting my mind-

Hmm, I've not heard that one before. I think the worst thing that you may have to deal with is a mild case of the runs if his digestive tract doesn't agree with the treat. I'd go out and dig it up anyway as bacteria can quickly multiply on buried raw bone. But your boy should be fine from what he already ate .

FWIW, In the future I'd freeze all meat from wild game for about 10 days before feeding. It helps to eliminate the possibility of parasites.

Done-I was still paranoid and figured he got something out of it and I went out and found it in my mums, hidden, not to mention half my deadened mums lie in the yard now-hehehe, but I got it and threw it out, just in case-thanks so much for such quick responses-I was really scared when I heard that, but as my dau mentioned-your friends in the BC website will know the definite answer-phew!!!! I can go to bed now and sleep and if I wake up to runny poop in the kitchen tomorrow morning, so be it, I can deal with a little diahrrea, I can't deal with something being wrong with my little man though....night all!!!

It could be that the person was thinking of CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) which is found in deer in some states. It's sort of like Mad Cow disease. You're not supposed to eat the brain or spinal column of deer that have it. If you google it you'll find a lot of info.

Did he mean parasites? Wondering here. Wild venison often has tapeworms that will be passed to the dog when fed raw . It's not the same as the flea tapeworm.

The only solution is to hard freeze the meat first for 30 days or plan to give medications for tapes later.

A breeder friend "treated" his dogs to a meal of wild venison for several day in the fall and had to spend $500 plus for Droncit for all of them later. We did some research (his dogs are kept flea free) about why, and found that most likely they got it from deer.

Not the first time I heard that story now.