BC Boards

Flipping Technique

Some time this week, I need to trim hooves. I usually have someone here to help me, but I might not have that luxury this week, and it would be good for me to know how to do this on my own.

For those of you who do this by yourself, any pointers for me so I don't end up with hoof prints on my forehead? I don't have any of the nice, fancy chutes and squeezes that would come handy right now. It's me, my dog, and my pens constructed of ranch panels. Once you've got the sheep down, what method do you use to limit the movement of the three hooves you're not trimming at the moment, all the while leaving your hands free to trim the hoof you're after?

Thanks!

Jodi

If the ewe is in the first shearing position -- sitting on her rump with her back against your legs -- you'll usually be okay for the most part. Sometimes you need to let her roll over onto one hip or the other to get her to relax. Always do the hind feet first.

With particularly obnoxious sheep, it sometimes helps to turn the head over to one side and pin it against her body. Usually once they know they can't overcome you, they behave pretty well. It is really helpful to hold them off feed for 12 hours before trimming feet. This will keep them more comfortable (no full rumen pushing against the lungs) and thus make them less likely to struggle and kick.

I use the same method as Bill. I stand on the left side of the ewe with my knees against her chest, grab her lower jaw with my left hand thumb inside her mouth, push her head around against her right side while pushing her butt down with my right hand then just roll her up and back against my legs. Once you get the hang of it it doesn't take a lot of strength. I had back fusion surgery in December and did 20 ewes yesterday. I always roll them so they are on the cheek of the rear hoove I'm trimming and they can't kick it around as much. Never had any trouble with any of the hooves I'm not working on. One other thing I do mine in the barn and stand against a wall and it's easier on my back. Good luck.

Kevin