BC Boards

Balconies

Hello All,

I will be moving into another apartment soon and am looking into getting one with a Balcony where I can place some Turf for pottying. How do you think a BC will do with a Balcony? I may be over reacting/over protective, but I am slightly afraid that my BC will jump over the Balcony to the ground.

has anyone every heard of a BC doing this or something close to it?

Thanks,

Michael

Yes, a BC that is very reactive to motion might not think before jumping. You can make a frame out of 2"x2"s and cover it with hardware cloth to make sure your dog stays in, just make sure it is attached firmly.

This just begs the question of why you want the dog to potty on the balcony instead of taking it out for much needed walks?

I agreee, though, that I wouldn't automatically trust a BC (or many odgs for that matter) not to jump over a balcony rail if there's something interesing. Please either be very sure your dog can be trusted first, or build something to prevent jumping over the rail.. . . or both!

As someone who lived in apartments with BCs for years and years, please don't let your dog potty on the balcony. It stinks, and when you wash it down it drips onto the balconies below, which stinks for them.

We have had more than one (very injured) dog come into animal control after jumping off a balcony. I wouldn't risk it.

RDM

Yuck. I wouldn't potty my dog on the balcony. Walk the poor dog.

And yes, a BC might jump off. I had one that walked off a cliff. Thankfully, she was wearing a climbing harness and attached to my waist by a rope.

As someone who lived in apartments with BCs for years and years, please don't let your dog potty on the balcony. It stinks, and when you wash it down it drips onto the balconies below, which stinks for them.

We have had more than one (very injured) dog come into animal control after jumping off a balcony. I wouldn't risk it.

RDM

^^^This^^^

Yep. 9 week old puppy, let go of her for one second, and she ran straight to the edge of a 4 foot deck (it was night, and you can't really see what is below even with the porch lights) and launched herself off of it, from underneath the railing. Heart was in my mouth, and she wailed, but thank doG she came away from it seemingly unscathed. I am SO careful (most people say paranoid) with my dogs, I could scarcely believe that this happened. Until she was old enough to know to use the stairs, she was never permitted to be on the deck off lead, and even now I supervise her constantly if she is out there. So I would reckon something very similar, albeit with much more severe results, could happen with a balcony.