BC Boards

Crate help please??

Hi, read up lots on getting a crate and spoke to my vet and soon to be puppy trainer and they were all positive too.

I have just bought Scampi's crate.

Been readinghow to introduce him to the crate on several sites, but just wondering ...

Should I keep him locked in on the first night if he has spent the evening in a nd out a few times?? or should he get used to it over a few days first?

Thanks

That depends. Doing some training with it during the day, (the putting them in for VERY short times) and then locking up at night would be better.

With Dazzle it was such a long drive to get her that when we got home, it was night already! I just put her right in the crate anyway.

The pup will (or should anyway) yowl. Just live with it. These dogs are so smart about crates. It only took a few nights for Dazzle to "get it" and now she loves her crate! So it should be fine it you just want to put Scampi in at night a lock him up. It won't scar him for life! :rolleyes:

You might want to consider purchasing a padded bed for the crate. We put the bed in Annie's crate at night, but take it out during the day; if we were to leave her crated alone during the day, you can imagine the devastation to the bed that would result. The bed we use has a bolster around the edge, which helps protect against catching a foot in the wire. CareALotPets.com has relatively inexpensive beds that are matched to crate sizes, but I am certain you can get them from a local pet store or other Internet sources.

Just a suggestion...

Don't know if this will help you. We put an airline crate in the bedroom, put a bed in it and kept her 'comfort' plushy in there along with a towel with her mother and litermates smell on it. At night she went to that crate poised on top of a bench at a level with me, a foot from my hand. Eventually I supplemented her litter towel with an old teashirt of mine and then the started leaving the crate door open and then it went away all together.

During the day we had a big wire crate upstairs in the main room and Meg went there after her play, feed and train , poop and squat cycle for some down time. She really didn't like being there unless she was tired, and hated it if she couldn't see us. We put a blanket over a good part of her crate so that she can feel safe.

Meg goes to her crate now of her own accord, sometimes I close and latch the door, sometimes I just close it, sometimes I leave it wide open.

The cat and she seem to like to sleep together there.

So that's how at least one scenario CAN run.

well scampi is already used to sleeping downstairs and only the first night he cried but ever since there hasnt been a sound (and I do hear because I am normally up with my son getting him back to sleep cos he is a very light sleeper)

He is in the crate as we speak eating his treat, and has already taken a 2 min ap on his blanket in there :rolleyes:

perhaps I'll see how he goes this evening and then decide then

What we have decided to do which we did last night is have the crate upstairs in our bedroom. He was locked in andhad one tiny cry in the night but went back to sleep. We carried him down this morning and he went out for No 1's and 2's :rolleyes:

Downstairs he has a corner of the living room which is sort of cordoned off with the 2 settees and he will have a bed and blanket and chews/toy in there.

Will see how this goes. He has started going upstairs himself already so he may just use his crate accordingly. Where we live is slightly different because Mum and Dad are staying here for quite a while yet and Dad is always upstairs in the hallway on his computer and mum has to rest mostly on her bed so there is always someone up there too. When they se him approaching the stairs we will carry him down

Do you think this solution will work too?? I really hope so.