BC Boards

Where to start....

I want to do Rally, traditional obedience, agility and tracking with Joy. I know dogs shouldn't be jumping more than half their hock or at hocks height before their growth plates are set, and not to do weaves because of spinal injuries. I want to do rally before normal OB to get us more conditioned to the ring.

I don't know where to go at all with this. She's the first border collie I've ever owned, not to mention competition dog. I got her with the strong intention of OB and agility, but it wouldn't kill me if she couldn't do tracking. I was going to do tracking as a precurser to SAR.

So, all that said....where do I start? I'm taking her to OB classes now (back to basic, because we're switching facilities) but I don't know what to do.

thanks in advance

All of the above :rolleyes: I would be teaching her to work both sides (you can have a different word for working on your left as in traditional OB and on your right), doing stuff to help her with back end awareness, teaching all positions (sit, stand.drop) from all positions, teaching targetting and anything else you can think of. IMHO, the more you teach them, the more they learn to learn, and the stronger the bond between you. Oh, and you can certainly start her on tracking exercises - even hide and seek in the house as a start.

The working both sides is key, I think - sets you up nicely for agility - oh and you left heelwork to music/canine freestyle out of your mix - it's good for that too.

The other thing that's key, is having her know that working with you on whatever, is seriously fun! :D

At her age, I think taking her through the new Basic class will help set you up for the things you want to do. I would let the instructor know what your goals are for Joy and he/she might be able to direct you within the context of class. I try to do that for my clicker students if I know what their training goals are.

I would try to get the basics as solid as possible, as Tassie said - working on both sides.

Anything you can do to build your dog's focus on you, not necessarily eye contact, but being tuned into you and your body language, will help you with Rally and Agility in the future.

Just a note about SAR - dogs are usually taught to air scent and not to track ( as far as I know ), although I doubt teaching tracking as a seperate thing would hurt. And if you do SAR seriously, you probably won't have time for anything else !!!

Thanks everyone!

For the tracking, I have this ragged little baby doll smeared with dirt and other stuff that I hide around the house and outdoors in various places and I reinforce both air scenting and nose tracking. I have also been trying to make her sit and bark if she finds 'baby' instead of picking her up and shaking her like a deranged beast...I can never imagine if we ever get involved with SAR and she find a baby's corpse and starts shredding it to bits in front of the mother :rolleyes:

She just got home from the vet from getting spayed and she's still quite stiff and groggy, so I can't work her much, so I'm waiting for about a week until I get serious about training her.

Also, I have started targeting. If I put her in a sit-stay at the other end of the room and release her, and tell her to 'touch', she'll race to the palm of my hand to nose it. Is she ready to use a target stick? I heard to use the palm of your hand first, and then start moving up to harder things. I got a long piece of dowel rod, painted a red ring around the end and put a rubber cap on the end. Is it bad to put hinges in the target stick for portability for practices in the park when I want a jump stick?

All sounds good, Haleigh. As far as the shaking the baby doll thing goes - if you're looking at competition tracking, you do want her excited at finding - so it's good if you have another tuggy toy or something to play reward her with.

I'd say she's ready for a target stick once she understands the concept of hand targeting. Don't forget to do some close up hand targeting too, putting your hand in lots of different position, and making sure you work both sides. You can turn that into a sort of figure of 8 to get the lead changes happening. Also transfer the touch to other objects - like small plastic lids, or post-its.

A hinged target stick is a great idea. I just got a telescopic one from Clean Run - with an in-built clicker in the handle - luxury. :rolleyes: When you start using the target stick, you might need to shape up to targeting the end, rather than expecting her to get it straight off.

The targeting will be a great thing to do with her while she's recuperating from her spay - just don't ask for drops would be my advice, while she's recovering.

Sound like you're having lots of fun.