BC Boards

Sheepdog trial question

I'm going to go watch a USBCHA trial next Saturday. I can't wait, I think it's going to be fun! It's my first, though, so I just had a few questions:

--Can I bring my dog?

--Is there any trial etiquette I should be aware of?

--I guess it depends on the "course" (is that the right word?), but is there a preferred place to sit that I might see all the good stuff?

--Anything else you guys can think of, that I should know before I go?

TIA!

Someday I'll make it down to see those Florida trials. Maybe we can meet up then!

Your dog is usually welcome. There will be a lot of working dogs off leash and so if your dog isn't good with other dogs, he or she might be more comfortable at home. Also, be prepared to make your dog comfortable if you don't want to hold a leash all day - crate at the car for instance. Remember to bring stuff for your dog - water especially. The water for the working dogs is often inside the trial field or inside the sheep exhaust area.

Sit where everyone else is! That's usually right behind the handler's post. The part that's usually easiest for a novice observer to understand is the pen - look for three panels that form a square-shaped pen with a gate and position yourself so you can see it. The next most exciting part is the "shed" which happens close up also - usually down in front of the handler's post - it will be a circle marked out on the ground, either by mowing the grass lower, or the line marked with sandbags, or something of that nature. The handlers will be working to split sheep off from the group there.

Trial etiquette. If your dog starts getting excited and barking, you'll want to put him up. Don't take your dog over to "meet the sheep" even through a fence, if there are some you can get close to for some reason.

It's fine to strike up conversations with handlers (the competitors), but probably not if they are leaving the field to put their dog up, and definitely not while they are waiting to run. It's a nice, friendly bunch down there so even newbie questions will probably be met with politeness. You may be rebuffed by some of them snowbird Yankees but don't let it turn you off. :rolleyes:

Bring a chair. Bring water/drinks for yourself and a snack in case there's no concessions or nearby food. Bring something to share - that always makes friends even among the Toppest Hats out there.

And the last bit of advice someone told me when I started going to these things twelve years ago: bring a roll of toilet paper. If you have to ask "What for?" you aren't ready for this experience, Grasshopper. . . . :D Portable facilities are now standard, but every so often something goes wrong . . .

Hey Paula! Is this your first trial to watch? You are in for a treat!

All the one's I've been to have no prob with other dogs. However, they should be leashed, not barky, and basically have good manners. Oh, and as Rebecca can tell you, they shouldn't pee on someones cooler!

BRING A LAWN CHAIR!

Depending on the field where the dogs will be running, don't get your dog anywhere the sheep may go by. They won't know your dog is not a participant and will bolt away from you.

Ask lots of questions, just not of the people fixin to run.

Hard to say where to sit. Mostly there is a "grouping" of folks anyway. (maybe that's why BC's love us so! We flock like sheep! Heh heh)Most times there will be a canopy covering of some sort. If not, you should still see where the spectators are sitting!

Most times they will have someone selling food and drink, but you are welcome to bring your own.

I can't think of anything else. Just have fun. You will learn a lot just by watching! Take pics and let us know how it goes!

Y'all know I don't have a BC. I do have a very well behaved corgi, Rosie the Posy, with minor seperation issues. When I leave her, she will not move away from whatever door I left by. She doesn't freak or anything, she's just sure if she waits long enough, I will come back and she's GONNA BE READY to resume shadow duties when it happens. :D

I've been going off to trials to watch, and sometimes those are long days in the car when I would sure rather have the Posiest with me than be by myself. I just haven't done it because I was sure driving in there with my Starbucks and my fluffy frou frou dog in my Yuppiemobile would make you all point fingers and do this... :rolleyes:

Here is Rosie, plotting to get out the door by which I left, and Esme and Fat Uncle Henry, plotting to get in. They hate it when the doorman is off duty. (That would be ME!). Who says cats and dogs don't work well together?

I used to sit on the sidelines to watch, but you'll be able to hear people talk about the trip if you're sitting where everybody else is, which can be a mini-lesson all on it's own.

I have only been to one trial so I can't give much advice, except have fun! They are a blast to go to. Even more fun if you have a pupper that comes with you (you can discuss the run with him) :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone else,

1. bring water (for both of you)

2. bring a chair

3. have fun and enjoy the trial

Thanks, guys! That's just the kind of stuff I was looking for. :rolleyes:

Laura, it's in St. Cloud. Just under two hours away (you're in St. Pete, too, right?). Friday and Saturday, starting at 8:00 am. I found out about it on the USBCHA website and emailed them for directions. Let me know if you want me to send them to you.

You're going to have a blast! I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but have a great time! Don't forget to dress for the weather - and don't forget to wear things that are OK to get dirty. Sometimes there's mud or wet grass to contend with, and sometimes the weather changes so do layers if you can, and shoes that are OK to tromp around in. Don't forget your chair, cooler with drinks, snacks, and water for you and any dog(s) you bring. I always try to make sure I have a crate in the car so that I can let the dog have some down time and really pay attention to what I'm watching!

Most of all, have a great time!!

Yes, a lawn chair, water and some munchies. It will be a long day. If your dog gets too excited hearing the whistles and woofs, a crate might be a good idea. Keep a good hold on that leash, if it's the first time your dog has seen sheep being worked, you might be in for a surprise. Have fun. Then afterwards...........tell us when your first herding lesson is- you'll be hooked. LOL.

I'm going to go watch a USBCHA trial next Saturday. I can't wait, I think it's going to be fun! It's my first, though, so I just had a few questions:

--Can I bring my dog?

--Is there any trial etiquette I should be aware of?

--I guess it depends on the "course" (is that the right word?), but is there a preferred place to sit that I might see all the good stuff?

--Anything else you guys can think of, that I should know before I go?

TIA!

I talked to the contact person for the SDT you are speaking of and she said as long as my pup was on a leash and behaving that he was welcome. See you there.

I talked to the contact person for the SDT you are speaking of and she said as long as my pup was on a leash and behaving that he was welcome. See you there.

Oh, you mean my dog will have to behave? Forget it, then! :rolleyes:

See you there! I think the weather is supposed to be nice this weekend.