BC Boards

A friend of mine was distressing over a situation concerning a border collie who was badly infested with whipworm. The dog was very thin to start with, but after "supposed" treatment, the owners claimed the vet told them that her intestines were so scarred from the whipworm infection that she stays thin all the time. My friend wants to know if this is possible? She is just concerned for the dog's welfare, which hasn't been too good to start with considering the poor dog is chained up outside, not fixed, and *because* of not being fixed resulted from a batch of puppies earlier this year. (Poor Dog!!!) I told her I'd ask about the possibility of whipworms scaring the intestinal tract, and that being the cause of her staying so thin, but she is still tempted to call animal control and get some one with better sense to help with this dog's future.

I don't know about whipworms scarring a dog's intestines, but I had a quarter horse that we purchased that was badly infected with bots. The vet tube wormed him and he lost weight for about a week or two after before he started picking up. His stomach/intestines being so sore from the bots dying and dropping off that he didn't want to eat for awhile. Once he felt better he started eating again just fine and gained weight.

It is possible for a severe worm infestation to damage the intestines enough to make the dog a "poor do-er". There are also many other causes of unthriftiness - this is by no means the only one - but this would certainly be one possibilty. However, it sounds as if the dog's "other" circumstances could be a significant contributor, and might be solely responsible for the dog's condition at this point, whether or not worms have ever been or currently are present.