BC Boards

Will it harm our pup??

I know this is very bad planning, but we had been looking for a dog to rehome or pup fir a while before we got Scampi.

When the ad came up last week we took the opportunity to get him.

But... at the end of May we have 4 days away to take the children to a holiday camp which was booked a long time ago, and they are exptremey excited and counting down.

I am now really worried how Scampi will miss (mainly) me, as im with him all day every day.

Our living situation at the moment is Mum and Dad are staying with us long term whilst waiting for appropriate housing for them without stairs (been here 5months now) so...... Scampi knows them and obviosly they are going to care and look after him whilst we are away, as they live here already.

Do you think he will be affected? if mum n dad encourage what I am teaching him too I am hoping this wont intefere too much with his learning.

I guess its cos I am missing him already before Ive gone, and Im hoping he wont be too upset for 4 days????

:confused: :confused:

I think that, since Scampi will be at home and with familiar folks, he might well miss you but really will be fine overall.

Your parents should handle, train, feed, etc., him just like you would (keep the same routines) and that will make it easier for all concerned. It will also aid his training for them to be consistent in doing things the same way you already do them.

I know that, for me and my dogs, I probably worry and miss them much more than they miss me! Enjoy the time and don't worry!

It is good to leave your dog. Otherwise your dog will probobly get SA.

I think he will do OK, and like Sue said, keep the same routines so it isn't a big shock.

Have a fun trip!

I had to leave Allie (7 mos. old at the time) with a Doggy Day Care overnight when we had only had her for about 2 weeks. I was traumatized! Allie survived, however, and though she was a bit intimidated by the 40 or so other doggies she was in contact with, she did okay. Because your pup will be in familiar surroundings with folks that he knows he will most likely be fine.

Jackson was only 11wks old when we had to leave him for a week! And we left him at the vets. We had booked a cruise months before I got him and there was just no way to change it! He was fine and was so excited to see us! I would say, don't worry, Sue is right, we suffer much more than they do! Don't worry too much, enjoy your time and be prepared for overwhelming puppy kisses when you get back! :rolleyes:

I know how you feel! We are going to Europe in June (something that has been in the works for two years), and I'm going to have to leave my eleven week old pup here. At least he will stay at my house, as my boyfriend is going to come live at my house for the ten days we are gone to take care of him. Even knowing that my pup knows (and likes ) Kevin more than anyone except me, I'm still nervous about leaving him behind!

I'm sure he will be fine, since he will be in his own home, same routine, people he loves and knows. I will suggest, however, that you leave an old t-shirt or an old pillow case or something that has your scent on it, for him to either lay on or drag around. I always do that if I have to leave my pups with someone other than my husband, like my sister or another relative. They always stay here at home to but I leave them something with my scent to lay on when ever they want.

I totally know how you feel, leaving them for anyone else to take care of them, is still hard. I know my hubby, daughter, sister whomever, love my/our pups and take great loving care of them, but I am Mommy! and there is no substitute for

M o m m y !!! (or Daddy,too...hmmm, but I'm still Mommy! HA!)

We had to leave Meg when she was only 11 weeks old for 4 days. Left her with freinds, house, kids, dog, cat, chickens...the full catastrophe. We didn't know it but she had worms. And when we came back we had to put her through the trauma of being boarded up in the kitchen while we were at work for the first week we were back.

I felt lower than whale poop on the bottom of the ocean. But even at that age she loved me, forgave me and bounced back.

Be of good cheer. Relax. Call her if you can and have the phone put to her ear.

He'll be fine - you'll probably be more upset than him. When we got Katie - or rough-coat collie - it was worse timing than that. It was less than a month before our sheep showing season. The poor thing was ping-ponged back and forth between our house and my parents' for about a month - and she did fine. She might have been a bit confused for a while, but she never had any problems from it and definitely learned very quickly where home really was. Don't worry and have a good time so you'll be even happier to spend more time with Scamp when you get home.

I understand how you feel but since Scampi is going to be with family he should be just fine. During the last weekend of March I left Pegasus at my brother and sister in-laws to see how he would do, because I was planing on going with my dad to my aunt and uncles 50th anniversary. I was told that other then him missing me when he first notice I had left he did okay. My sister inlaw did almost everything with him that I would do, other then the training. She took him for walks maybe not as long as I do but for more of them, she would play fetch, let him swim, etc. I droped him off on a friday at noon and got him sunday evening no problems. Now he was happy to see me when I picked him up. I was not able to to go to the anniversary, I took my dad to the airport this morning to go to it, after Pegasus was injuried when attacked April 13 while out for our walk so I can't say anything about being gone for more then 2 and a half days. So go have some quality time with your kids and when you get back spend a day spoiling Scampi. Enjoy.

Tom and Pegasus