BC Boards

shearing schools?

Belleview

Hey Lori,

Know what I learned at shearing school???

That I don't ever want to have to shear my flock!!!!

It was back breaking work and I'm not a short person- 5'8". At the shearing school, I was tired after catching one in the pens and wrestling it to where I was to shear it at, probably about 25', and flipping. Let alone shearing it!

I went to the beginning shearing school in Westminster PA (which was 2 days). People were helpful and alot of people had never sheared before so I didn't feel out of place, of course there were these 2 power shearer women there that were knocking the sheep off one after another. You were supposed to shear 2 sheep each day, I think they did 10 or more apiece. So you could really get as much experience as you wanted and were physically able to do.

Nancy O

Nancy,

These were exactly my thoughts as I was reading back over the thread. I've got to be the worst shearer in the whole world. I hate cutting the sheep, and probably because of that fear never get proficient enough that I don't. Consequently, my shearing is limited to cutting out areas of fly strike (yuk). I have a woman (Nancy Myers) shear my flock of 80 - she's amazing - very kind, proficient and the sheep are "well behaved" for her (she handles them well). A good shearer is worth their weight in gold!

Kim

Believe me, this really isn't a "want to" thing!

I've used several different shearers in the last few years. Most were pretty good. One sliced my sheep so much I felt like I was standing in a butcher shop. The "going rate" for shearing in this area is about $4 per head, give or take $.50. Talk about underpricing a dirty job. I'd happily pay more. I ALWAYS give my shearers gas money & tip them generously, hoping I'll get better scheduling service next year.

Unfortunately, it never seems to get better. My norm is a dozen phone calls someone's wife who keeps promising I'll get a call back, which never happens. Last night I spoke with a wife who swore her hubby had me confirmed & scheduled, altho I assured her no one had ever returned my calls to book a date. Oops, they forgot that part. I've had guys schedule a date & not show up. I know I'm not dealing with "business" people & most do it on the side, but I have a patience threshold for this kind of stuff...and I don't want hair sheep for training the dogs!

I ordered some shears. yikes.

Hoping to still have 10 fingers when I see you all next time!

Hi,

Another option to make shearing easier - if slower - is to use a grooming stand. That's how I do it if I have to do my own. It's not ideal to get the fleece off in one neat piece, but it can be done.

There's a shearing school in southern IN - don't think they've had it yet - I think it's in April. Bill Harshbarger is the contact. I'm not positive, but think this is his info:

2005 E County Road 200 N

Centerpoint, IN 47840-8314

(812) 835-3171

He also sharpens hand & electric shears and sells new/used shearing & grooming supplies.

Oh god Lori, be afraid, very afraid...I have been shown by a professional shearer how to do it and I did one or two..god that is hard work...as Nancy says, catching them is bad enough...I wrestled the new wool sheep and caught all but ten of the 100 for the shearer this year. I wanted to DIE. I already have my new setup for next year as I now realize it isnt like throwing my 70 lbs hair sheep under my arm and carryign them thru the barn. Not by a long shot.

Hi Lori,

I agree with Sam, (Hi Sam!!). It's horrible and dirty and you can't wash the smell off your hands for days. I use toothpaste to wash my hands

and it helps tremendously. Since I have a bum back I went to hair sheep. Occasionally I get one

with a wool coat too. What I do is to run them

through the chute and put one of those little sheep halters on them. There is a lead attached.

Then I tie them to the fence and sit on an overturned bucket and use hand shears. A full coat takes me 25 minutes. Just a back cover takes

10 minutes. I can't work electric shears very well. The blades go dull on me too fast. My two

cents worth.

I took a hand shearing clinic in January with Kevin Ford so that I could at least do the few sheep I have they need to be shorn twice a year. I imagine once you get proficient at it, it's not so bad, but I must say that the sheep we sheared that day looked pretty rough when we were done with them, and of course the fleeces, which were full of second (and probably 3rd and 4th) cuts were useful for nothing more than garden mulch. I suppose if you don't want to save the fleeces for spinning purposes or the like, then how well you shear isn't a big issue. But if you're hoping to use the wool for something other than mulch, I think you have to decide to do a lot of shearing so you can get good at it and face the fact that you'll sacrifice's this year's fleeces for the sake of learning.

I will say that learning how to hold the sheep in the proper positions makes all the difference in the world.

This year, we had three unexpectedly pregnant yearling ewes (sold as not pregnant). We found out they were pregnant when a lamb appeared. Try crutching a newly lambed first timer by the light of a heat lamp, when you've only just learned how to use the darn hand shears! We did get the other two done before they lambed and actually did a decent job, but I'm still hoping we don't have to do the whole flock ourselves (and they're probably hoping the same).

J.

Very Welcome Sam! It was so neat to be around

the dog crowd again. Your place is just to die

for. So pretty. I was so thrilled to get Kathy

to come with me. Hope to see more of everyone

soon.

Shearing---I actually LIKE the hand shears.

If you have a small flock of a dozen or so like

mine it's not too bad. Mostly it's just getting

the stubborn back wool off. Trying to get even

small sheep into all the positions is just impossible for me so I tie them to the fence, put

a knee against once side, sit on my bucket and

shear away. They look pretty nice when I'm done,

the wool on the other hand just gets hacked off

however since it's a useless hair/wool mix.

Lori,

Pam just did the MD Beginner Course (17-18 MAR) and enjoyed it. (I'm considering getting her some counseling...)

The March edition of The Shepherd and the Feb 06 Sheep Industry News list the schools. Here are the upcoming ones:

MARCH

25 Maine Sheep Shearing School, Cumberland, ME. Contact (800) 287- 1471, rbrz@umext.maine.edu.

30-31 Colorado Sheep Shearing School, Delta County Fairgrounds, Hotchkiss, CO. Contact Steve LeValley, (970) 491-1321, steve.levalley@ colostate.edu.

APRIL

1 Maryland and Delaware Sheep Shearing School (Advanced Course). Thompson Farm, Westminister, MD. David Greene (410) 329.6241 ? greelamb@bcpl.net. $25/person, 25 person limit, Deadline: march 25.

3-8 Washington State Sheep Producers Sheep Shearing School, Parker?s Sheep Ranch, Moses Lake, WA. Contact (509) 754-2011, smithsm@

wsu.edu.

5-6 Illinois Sheep Shearing School, Livestock Center, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL. Contact (217) 333-7351, arcobb@uiuc.edu.

8 Indiana Sheep Association Sheep Shearing School, Putnam County Fairgrounds, Greencastle, IN. Contact Harshbarger Shearing, 2005

E 200 N, Central Point, IN 47840.

21-22 Minnesota Sheep Shearing School, Hutchinson, MN. Contact Doug Rathke, (320) 587-6094.

29 Vermont Sheep Shearing School, Shelburne, VT. Contact (802) 524-6501 ext. 212, chester.parsons@uvm.edu.