BC Boards

starting with sheep

kelpiegirl

hi folks:

I am thinking about (after getting lots of sage advice from here) starting a small rotating flock, to use for herding training. I have access to a small property- 100 acres, and can fence in a nice section. There is a standing barn, and all in all it is a good piece of property. What I would like to do is keep the sheep through the fall, and then acquire new sheep in the spring, UNLESS over wintering sheep is relatively not difficult. I am knowledgeable about stock keeping in general, but I have heard horror stories about sheep....

I would use electronet, but I am concerned about dogs, perhaps wire is better? Breed of sheep- well there are those I am used to- scotties, and monedales. But, am willing to to look at others.

I would like to allow others who are looking for training places other than their home field, to use the sheep as well. Anyway, I am looking for some good sheep advice.

Thanks

Julie

Julie,

I didn't find it difficult to overwinter sheep. Of course the harshness of your winters would have a bearing on how much work is required for overwintering. Nonbred sheep that are in good condition can survive the winter on decent hay and a mineral lick (and fresh water of course).

As for breeds, I wouldn't consider Scottish blackface ideal for regular training, at least not for young/beginner dogs. They are very willing to turn and fight if pushed too much, which can ruin the confidence of a youngster. I find them suitable for my fully trained dogs to work, but wouldn't put a youngster on them.

Also, you need to consider the type of fencing you'll have and how suitable it is for sheep with horns. I had one scottie break a horn off on woven wire (or a cattle panel--not sure which) and my neighbor has one that won't stay in electronet. Not too long ago, she got herself badly tangled in some poultry net and we literally had to cut it off her leg, she had gotten it that tight in less than 30 seconds (we happened to be there and witnessed the tangling). The people we got the scotties from said that they occasionaly did have to deal with dead sheep that had hung their heads (because of the horns) in their fencing.

I believe Kim (Black Dog Farm) has said she uses electronet and hasn't had any problems with predators. It's very moveable, which is a great advantage if you want to be able to graze sections of the property.

Another consideration with any breed that's not super popular is whether you'd be able to easily rotate stock. If you're selling them off every fall, who's going to buy them? Just something to consider. I don't know anything about montadales so can't comment on them.

Oh and if you rotate stock each year, be prepared to spend time dog breaking the new stock. That might be more than you want to take on each spring....

My opinion anyway.

J.

Thanks everyone for writing

Julie- good point about the horns... I would rather use electronet, so perhaps, if this seems the best, this is what I will do. Penny- I am in NY state.

I was thinking about having to break the sheep, and perhaps this is not the best plan. Is there some sort of co-op that enables folks to "trade" sheep? Just thinking that maybe to prevent the sheep I would have becoming too wise to my dogs- it would be best to get fresh blood?

Julie

I was thinking about having to break the sheep, and perhaps this is not the best plan. Is there some sort of co-op that enables folks to "trade" sheep? Just thinking that maybe to prevent the sheep I would have becoming too wise to my dogs- it would be best to get fresh blood?
There is NO way I'd trade sheep - that just sounds like a way to constantly bring new problems into your flock (I'm having a bad week) -- UNLESS you trade with the same person every year.

If you have an easy way to purchase and dispose of your sheep each winter, that sounds like a plan, especially if you want the sheep just to work your dogs. Wintering sheep in Upstate NY is absolutely harder (and more expensive) than than taking care of them during the summer, not to mention MUD SEASON, which we're entering right now. And if you lamb during the winter, it's even harder. And you're unlikely to get alot of quality work with the dogs from Nov. - March/April anyway.

I'm sold on electronet but most of my flock is polled. My ramboillet ram caught his horns on the fence once and I've also had problems with lambs getting wrapped in the fence. The key is to make sure it's ALWAYS hot. For example, yesterday, in a feeble attempt to get the sheep/lambs out of the mud, I put some electronet up outside their paddock in the pasture. I got lazy and didn't hook up the charger and, sure enough, the lambs ran right through the fence. You do this too many times and they learn to test the fence. I also occasionally have problems early in the spring if the sheep are in full wool because they don't feel the shock. But, generally, I don't have alot of problems with the electronet, especially not in terms of predators breaching the fence - I've actually NEVER had a predator go through/over/under my fence, to my knowledge.

Kim

Hi goosedog:

No, though Barb has these guys (the scotties are my favorites- make very nice portraits ;0)), there is a farm near me who raises a small flock of mixed sheep, with a ram montedale, and some scotties. I think they are pretty much lawn ornaments...

Kim: Does sound like a good plan to NOT trade, and perhaps change out each year. I will spend this summer getting the fence set up, so when I do this, we will be ready.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Julie