BC Boards

sheep n missouri ,yes or no?

emmetteabrakai

Since there are no dumb questions I'm going to give this one a shot.

Recently a heard health person( ie VET) at a practice that shall remain namless, told me he would not have sheep here in Missouri. Montana yes Wyoming yes not Missouri. He told me it was to hot, to humid, and disease abounds. I asked him about hair sheep, if they would do better? Since Africa and the Middle east arent'exactly the temperate garden spots of the world. Any way I'm looking for mostly pasture control, small areas at a time. Not to many sheep, at some point I would also like some wool sheep for my own personal use and not a huge flock either. I live in the middle of Mo. on 10 acres, 2-3 of which are woods. I could get free goats from my neighbors, they have a huge flock of them and they seem to have little to no trouble. The management they use could be easily duplicated at my house. But I like the idea of sheep and have always wanted them, I thought I would throw out

the quesion.

Andrea D.

I'm sure Jack and Kathy Knox would be surprised to know that sheep don't do well in MO. They've got a couple of hundred North Country Cheviots a little bit SE of KC.

I raise wool sheep here in the hot humid Southeast. It depends on the breed you choose. My suggestion would simply be to start looking around for other sheep people in your area and see what they raise, and why they chose those breeds.

The registrar for the Karakul association is in Boone, MO - and I think she has over 200. I know of several other flocks of various types there. What I have heard people say is that tighter, finer fleeced breeds don't do as well in warm, humid areas - that they actually turn green with mold - don't know if this was an exaggerated joke or not, but most of the people I know in TN, MO, those types of areas have the longer wools such as Lincolns, Cotswold, Karakuls, Border Leceister - those types. I had a friend in AL that said as long as they got sheep from states "in line" with them, they did ok - she never defined "in line" and "ok", but I know they had Corriedales and she bought colored from me and others in IN. She did comment that it was too hot for their white corriedales to have the pretty, white fleeces they needed to show well - they turned yellow with "sweat". I have heard MO people complain about having a lot of troubles with worms/parasites - and there are a lot of problems with resistance to wormers (we all have that to some extent, though). Just what I've heard and seen. If you're interested in some names of producers I know, email me privately. Good luck on whatever you choose - personally, I prefer sheep over goats - especially since I currently have a buck (goat) that is really wanting to be barbequed.

I have mixed breed hair and am just starting out with North Country Cheviots. I live in MO just south of St. Louis. Most of my MO friends with sheep have hair but I know lots of wool sheep people here too. I find it interesting about the "yellow with sweat" comment about Corriedales. My friend right over the river in IL raises Corrs and they always look yellow. Now I know why.

I don't have many parasite problems, I think because I don't over worm. 3 times a year is sufficient for us. I do have a wormer resistance issue and use Cydectin 2 times a year, they are not resistant to that yet.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't have sheep here in MO

Kristen