BC Boards

Anyone wanting any Karakul Sheep?

Jordi44

Hope this is ok to place here, but my daughter has decided to switch from Karakul sheep to Lincolns. She has 2 rams (1 and 2 yrs old, one red/cream other gray) and 6 ewes (4 yrlgs, 1 2-yr-old, and 1 4-yr-old, all black/gray, 2 with single ewe lambs) that she needs to sell. I thought I'd ask here as these are kind of pets - some tamer than others, but she loves them all (she's only 8 and has had them since she was 4). Karakuls are the oldest, registered breed of sheep and are considered a rare breed (although they are more common in the Middle East). They are a fat-tailed breed and produce very lean carcasses. If you want something different that turns heads, these do it. They have a more goat-like temperament, so are good for kids. They aren't the greatest for working dogs - dog-hating is a breed trait apparently; they will run from dogs, a few will show fight, but are most likely to run. If interested, let me know and we can talk. Sorry if this isn't allowed here - just remove it - was trying to find a home for them were they would be well cared for and appreciated. Thanks.

Mine were excellent for training because they stayed more or less un-dog-broken. Jordan and Taylor first learned to work on them. Karakul aren't in a class with some Scottish Blackfaces when it comes to running down dogs. The Karakul just tend to stay challenging enough to teach dogs when to grip and when not to.

I loved the meat. It's very lean.

If I weren't now living in the deep south and raising Gulfcoast Natives for the sheer convenience of their footrot and parasite resistance, I would have more Karakul.

Anyone near Jordi44 and looking for some sheep that will not become too doggy and also teach a dog to cover its sheep might want to look into these. Most of my Karakul were only awful enough to make life interesting. A few were genuine witches at lambing.

Penny

I don't have any purebred Karakul, but do have several crosses (Karakul/Finn/Dorset?) that I really like. I haven't found them (the cross-bred ewes) to be particularly hard for the dogs to work, although maybe a little more "jumpy" than the rest of my flock (mainly heavier wool breeds). The crosses are good mothers, have multiples, and are (have been) free from serious health problems. If I was a little closer, I'd definately consider these sheep.

Kim

They are good mothers and even better lambs. If a ewe is having her first lamb and walks away from it, the lamb will chase momma down until she lets it nurse. Even lambing in January in bitter winters I rarely got lambsicles instead of lambs.

However, unlike the livestock buyers at auctions in the south, the western buyers are not accustomed to funny looking sheep and only pay goat prices. I sold privately by word of mouth and could have sold more than I ever had available.

The lambs are darling. Karakul lambs (not unborn lamb but young lambs) are used to make Persian lamb jackets and hats. Their fleece is lovely. However, the fleeces get nasty after less than the first year. You'll have to lie to the shearers because they won't want to shear Karakul, which are called hair sheep but have to be shorn, ideally twice a year. I never had it done twice a year, and the sheep were fine.

They are good for training border collies. A friend with an Aussie bought some, and the dog wasn't fast or wide enough to get around them but that might have happened with any sheep.

Penny

Sue,

You know the sheep that no one could shed at the trials at Tom Forrester's? Those were his karakuls (which I can't convince him to part with, even though he doesn't particularly like them--maybe I can work a trade with some of my Corriedale crosses, since he does love his Corriedales!).... :rolleyes:

Penny,

I was interested in them largely for rare breed conservation purposes (hence the high prices). The sheep I have now don't get worked much by dogs unless I *need* to do something with them. I'll probably turn some of the current lamb crop into puppy sheep though. I would be using the fleece and selling lambs by word of mouth as well, so I'm not real concerned about auction reaction to them. I think they'd make a nice addition to the tunis and Scottish blackface.

J.

How ARE your lambs, Julie? When are we going to see pictures? I might be un-grounded this weekend, I'll have to give you a call (or you could call me). I'm giving some serious thought to that corriedale/tunis ram, so I'd like to come see him.

I have a neighbor who raise Karakul/Finns. She does very well and sells all freezer lambs - they are great breed for homesteaders who don't want to spend a lot of time thinking about their ewe flock. Very cool looking, too. I like bigger sheep, though.

Julie - I would love to have sheep to work with, produce some lamb, and have my own "enterprise" here on the farm. But, I don't have the fencing in place, the barn's in the process of coming down (partly intentionally and partly not), and we have coyotes in our area.

I need to be less of a "wisher" and more of a "doer", and get myself into the situation where I could have some sheep.

As for training challenges, our biggest challenge is ME! The dog has potential but I am beginning to think I am the one without.

They weren't what we had at the Novice field, were they? My goodness, Celt had a nice outrun, lift, and fetch, they came around the post and I blinked (well, Roy said I turned my back on the sheep and he was right, and that's all it took) and they were GONE!

Well, Celt did "intercept" them and make a valiant attempt to regain control and save the run, but he was outnumbered by some wily sheep that knew he had an inept handler. And they were perfectly able to jump that sagging little fence into the parking area, and not the least bit reluctant to do so.

That was one day I should have remained a spectator. Actually, for much of this fall, I should have remained a spectator. At least I spectate well.

Hey Debbie,

I fortunately didn't get them at Tom F's. But I bet Tom Lacy wouldn't mind practicing on that group again! LOL!

Karakuls or Navajo churro were my first sheep choices, but when I started pricing them, well, let's just say I'd have to start very small, like with maybe two sheep....

I have a Persian lamb coat that was my grandmere's, and I have to say it's lovely (it needs some repair). I'm getting ready to take spinning lessons, would love to learn to weave and even felt (maybe my mom's artistic genes will out), so those breeds would've been great from that aspect as well.

Rebecca,

The lambs are doing fine, though I still haven't moved them out to the pasture. I want to get the run-in shed to where it blocks wind a little better.... I wish the rest would come on now. I only have a few pictures, and those aren't very good, but I'll post them in the gallery. Just don't laugh at my sweater-clad ewe lamb!

J.

Wow - I was tied up for a day or two and never expected this response. I'm impressed - most sheep people around here don't even know what a Karakul is. My experience is that they can't be beat as moms - and I thought Rambouillets were decent (moms that is - they're still crazy as loons). The Karakuls irritate me, but aren't the nasty crazy like my black Rambouillet crosses can be. They've been good for my daughter - but I won't miss brushing them out to show. She has one that she's keeping that is our "P.R. sheep". She will stand in a crowd and let kids pet and fuss over her for hours. Never understood it - she wasn't even halter-broke when we got her as a lamb, but she just is naturally mellow and pretty obliging - thus the reason she can't be sold - she's my daughter's darling.

Julie - what are the prices out where you are? My experience is that they're relatively cheap compared to most other types. My daughter has them priced from $200 (for the 4 yearling ewes that may be bred and a 2-yr-old ram) to $300 for her yearling ram (she loves him, why, I don't know, but she does). We have a 2-yr-old and 4-yr-old ewe that each have a ewe lamb at their side (about 3 weeks old) that are $225. Wish you guys were closer - you all sound like the perfect homes - what she really wants are good homes and I'd like to see them go to someone interested in maintaining the breed. She has a gorgeous red ewe that we're not selling unless it's to someone interested in maintaing the breed. She held her own showing against all the fine and med. wool natural coloreds that she usually had to show against - she was from Lenoir, North Carolina - McGarvey's farm. If anyone wants to road-trip, let me know. We have 6 (maybe 7) ewes and the 2 rams - and I might be able to pool in some more if anyone was interested in a larger lot. There's a bigger breeder in Valparaiso, IN about 3 hours from us. Good luck with lambs and dogs.