BC Boards

Lamb Pelt

I just had an interesting experience. I butchered a lamb myself that had come to an untimely end. This was a first for me. I had a lot of surprises, including how easy the pelt came off (considering how hard it is to get a fleece off!).

This pelt was not nice as the lamb had been sitting for an hour or so before we found it. For future reference, is there a reference we can refer to, to process and preserve these pelts?

I salt the pelts using rock salt and then send them away to Bucks County Fur:

Bucks County Fur

220 ? N. Ambler Street

Quackertown, PA 18951

They do a really nice job. Pelts are washable (or not). They'll also clip to a certain length.

It's not cheap but I like having the pelts around - we sleep on them, sit on them, etc.

Kim

Make sure all the fat is off, no cuts is preferred, then salt it very well. I've just used the 1 lb. table salt from the grocery store - don't know that it matters what kind, but you want it covered very well. I forget how long you leave it set - thinking around 5 days before shipping. Shake salt off, pack (NOT in plastic) and ship. I've heard of Bucks - and that they do good work. I've heard that a lot of places have or are going out of business, so check before shipping. They do come in handy.

Fantastic! It's great knowing I can do this now and the carcasses won't go to waste. Though we've got a very nice compost pile going, too.

The dogs think they have died and gone to heaven.

BTW I was veryveryvery happy with the carcass - my new Texel crosses did just what I was hoping - lean and good muscling on grass alone (thanks again Bill!). The meat looked tender enough to eat raw even though it was a six month old ram. Next step, pure Texels - but that will have to wait until we get more cash.

I've seen that in their directions but have sent many pelts to them that were salted with rock salt and they have all turned out beautiful. It would be interesting to see if there is any difference salting them another way. Do you know why you aren't supposed to use rock salt? If not, I'm expecting another pelt back soon - I'll have to ask what the reason is when I send my check.

Kim