BC Boards

Watering problem

kajarrel

With the unusually warm weather we've had in CNY, I've finally invested in a couple valves to automatically fill my stock tanks. The problem is that the hoses connecting the valve to the pump leak just above the connections. :mad: Any suggestions what type of hose to buy and where to get it?

Kim

1. Make sure the washer is in good condition (not dried and cracked)

2. If the leak is in the metal part (between the body of the hose and the threaded fitting), cut it off and replace it with a new brass one (Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware store).

3. If the hoses are old, dried, cracked, or vinyl; buy new rubber ones that are designed to not kink.

Mark

It's where the connector attaches to the hose. I bought two different types of hose and I'm at wit's end. I've used the replacement ends before, maybe I'll try that next -- but I hate putting a replacement tip on a new hose. AGH!

Kim

Kim

Are you using float valves?

When I first started to use the float valves, our feed store had 2 different brands. One I NEVER got to work without leaking. Returned it and bought the other brand, had some problems but the issue seemed to do with the positioning of the hose leading to the float valve. I usually end up weaving the hose through the fence and securing it with plastic ties, when I find the right position for the hose. Also the way you attach the float valve to the trough seems to affect it.

Nancy O

Thanks for the ideas. I'm using Hudson valves. I don't think they're going to be a problem, although I haven't been able to hook them up correctly because of the leaking hose. What type do/did you use, Nancy?

We're in a pickle here -- the spring in my pasture went dry a couple weeks ago, so my irrigation system (that we put in last year) isn't working. I pasture the sheep by the house during the day and put them out in the big field during the night. We're watering off the well that serves our house. Therefore, I can't let the water run constantly.

Kim

I used the metal rectangular float valves. Now I have an automatic waterer (with heater) with 2 sides. I put up a cut cattle panel between the two bowls so I can use it in the 2 fields.

Looking at the hudson valves, the other thing I might suggest is using a coupler with a flange connection, between the hudson valve and the hose. The stationary end of the coupler would screw onto the hudson valve connection. The hose then would fit onto the other end, but instead of screwing the hose onto the connection (as I believe you now have to do) the coupler has a flange that screws onto the hose, thus eliminating the hose from twisting as you screw them together. Hope I am explaining this OK.

I have had this type of connection work when I've had connections leaking from my spigot to my hose.

also, here is a link to a posting about problems with hudson valves and thier suggestion

http://graze-l.witt.ac.nz/pipermail/graze-...une/020182.html

Nancy O

A good friend, I believe, has the waterers you describe in his (sheep) greenhouse. Nifty. They've worked pretty well for him but are more expensive than I can justify with our 80 - 100 ewes (and in light of all the other things I've got on my "wish" list).

The coupler is a good idea because, like you say, it will be difficult to unscrew the hose each time I need to clean the valve.

Thanks for the link.

Kim