BC Boards

Herding titles

There's a zillion of them, and there's at least three major title-awarding venues - AKC, AHBA, and ASCA. There's also UKC and CKC now, too.

So you can easily get the information off all those web sites (put in Canadian Kennel Club for CKC so you don't get the US puppymill registration organization!).

None of these organizations have "herding" that is a true showcase of a working Border collie's abilities. Border collies are big fish in little ponds in those venues, which focus primarily on simple tasks, well-broken livestock, and short distances with minimal pressure.

American Border Collis Handlers association....no, that's not right....I can't remember the name....help me out LOL

Does that organization give out titles? I was thinking of associations SPECIFICALLY for border collies.....one titles mean cattle, one title means sheep and one title means ducks or something?

I read about it a long time ago and I can't seem to remember.

Originally posted by CircleC:

...I was thinking of associations SPECIFICALLY for border collies.....one titles mean cattle, one title means sheep and one title means ducks or something?

Are you thinking of ASCA 's stockdog program? ASCA is the Australian Shepherd Club of America, and they have titles in ducks, cattle and sheep.

USBCHA doesn't award any title, unless you count National Sheepdog Champion or National Cattledog Champion as titles. USBCHA open trials, despite the name "border collie" are also open to all breeds.

The main organizations offering herding titles in the US are AKC, AHBA (American Herding Breeds Association, http://www.ahba-herding.org/ ), and ASCA (Australian Shepherd Club of America, http://www.asca.org/Programs+/Stockdog ). I know AHBA and AKC offer titles specifically for sheep, cattle, and ducks. I don't know if ASCA does also.

edited to add: Oh, duh, I see Kristi already answered that about the ASCA.... My reading comprehension skills must be flagging.

J.