BC Boards

Goose Dog has arrived!!

Today was finally the day! I live in a gated lake community in No. CA who has chosen a BC for its newly implemented "Goose Patrol". Today, we got Jacki, a 2yr old, trained female. I volunteered to be the "host" family when the programs original volunteer had to decline. I am not obligated to "participate" in the patrols, however my daughter and I are avid agility fans and I myself have always had a thing for BC's intelligence and abilities.

I have had dogs before and had considered my home a great solution. Now, I'm freaking out! I just found "Living with a BC" pamphlet at bordercollie.org out of pure frustration. Although I had spent the afternoon with the owner/trainer, I am not so sure as I was this morning. In my particular situation, it seemed that EVERYTHING listed in the pamphlet pertains to me. I mean, I understand the 3day transition thing but I can't seem to even get a response to ANYTHING from her?? According to the pamphlet, every time I interact with her I am supposed to be "interacting" with her correctly (ie when i call her name, saying "here"). I'm used to just telling the dog in whatever "words" come to mind... not with a BC?? A "timid" temperment (i think). I read not to be fooled because in NO WAY does the dog not know what "I" am "supposed" to be doing/saying with her.

Is my inexperience going to thwart the training she already has? I'm playing catch up here, I'm afraid how my inexperience "handling/learning as i go along" will affect my "role" with the dog later? :rolleyes:

PLEASE HELP! Right now it all is a bit overwelming. I do not want to disrespect what she was bred to be. I want her to be the "BEST GOOSER EVER"

First of all, welcome, and congrats on getting a "gooser" to work with! I would SO love to do this.

I think it would be easier for people here to help you if you could describe her behaviour more specifically. What is she doing, ignoring you completely?

As for your "role" in her life, that will be changing all the time IMO. Pack structure isn't a "fixed" thing. As your confidence grows, so will her respect for you. At least that's been my experience with the first dog I ever walked.

I'm a little confused as to what you're actually asking, but I'll try to help anyway. :rolleyes:

First of all, take a deeeeep breath. It's going to be OK. You're going to do just fine. She's going to need some time to settle in with you guys, and to get to know you. At this point (personally) I wouldn't stress too very much about how well she is or isn't interacting with you guys. Your home is new to her, and you are new to her. Give her some quiet time, not too many expectations or stressors, and let her feel her way around some. At this point she's likely not responding to you because SHE is stressed and uncertain - maybe even fearful. This most likely will not last.

ALL dogs need some sort of consistency in commands. Luckily for us our dogs have a great way of picking up on what we mean - like come, commere, here all mean to come to me. Although we often lapse into inconsistency, at this pointdo your best to give consistent commands that mean the same thing every time. In other words, "Here" or "Come" (which ever command you choose) always means come to me. "Lie Down" always means lie down. Etc. On Geese her commands have to be consistent, and it *would* be helpful for her commands at home to be consistent as well

That being said, many of us are not always consistent - my dogs seem to understand sentences, parts of words, nuances, etc - at home. However, on sheep, in public, at agility, whatever - I try my best to keep my commands the same, and meaning the same thing every time, respectively.

At this point, if she's stressed and not responding to you, I would just relax some. Let her BE with you all. Let her drag a leash if necessary so that you can put her where you need to (ie in a crate at bed time, etc) without a fight.

I read not to be fooled because in NO WAY does the dog not know what "I" am "supposed" to be doing/saying with her.
The dog has been with you for, what, three days? She probably does NOT know what you expect of her right now. She doesn't completely know the rules of your house, or what your expectations of her are. To think that she's willfully disobeying you at this point is setting you and her up for a LOT of stress. At this point, she's still trying to figure it all out - and so are you.

Give both of you some time to get to know each other. How soon do they expect her to start working the geese? What is your day with her looking like right now?

Thank you ALL for your input! You hit it right on the nose (i've come to find out). Every day is something new...today she cracked me up! I'm in bed, early and I hear this like "scraping" sound. I look up at there she is lying in my bedroom doorway, ears up just looking at me.

I figured I must be hearing things and lay back down. Minute later, I hear it again! Do the same, she does same...I lye back down. Now I KNOW she's up to something so I lay back facing the doorway so all I have to do is lean up just a little.

Sure enough she's actually chewing on my doorframe! LoL I caught her red handed! Thing that was SO HILARIOUS is she knew I busted her! She starts rustling back and forth lying down and gives me this "roooo- rooo" kinda howl. I'm just laughing MAO and she gets up all excited and gives me another "Rooo-roo". It was priceless.

All my anxieties are now gone. Like I said, every day she shows me in her own little ways that "you're okay, I'm gettin there..."

I cannot tell you how much I am going to enjoy every minute she's with me. My daughter comes home on Sunday. She still is very weary around others that stop by (relatives) but I know she will get used to them in time.

Thanks again for the reassurances and advice. Will keep you all posted on her progress.

MotherGoose )

One thing I could use some help with is potty training? I know it is a transition thing but when I take her outside for pottie time, she just stands there at my side. I cannot get her to just "roam n sniff".. the usual stuff. It is good to know she's got the training down, but how can I help her get over this and go? It's almost like if I'm around she can't do her business.

Thanks!

You need to get on a pretty consistent schedule with your new partner. Border collies react very well to simply knowing, we did this, therefore the next thing we'll do is this, and I'm expected to do this.

It's ok if she "goes" right by your side. In fact, this will be very helpful later on when she's working full time, and you might even get into traveling with her. Just tell her, "Hurry up" or "go potty" or whatever you are comfortable with saying in front of people :rolleyes: If she is eliminating in the house, go back to potty training as if she were a puppy, with taking her out on a regular schedule and crating her if she doesn't take the opportunity to "go". Be sure to use a potty command. It will not take her as long as a puppy (probably just a week or so), of course, so don't despair.

Thanks! Already started setting alarms on my cellphone to get consistent. Thought I should crate her but wasn't sure. I'm still getting used to the whole kennel thing. Getting over my issues with "caging" up any dog. Will she actually "go potty" in the kennel? How long is TOO long for any dog to be in their kennel anyways?

Originally posted by MotherGoose:

Is my inexperience going to thwart the training she already has? I'm playing catch up here, I'm afraid how my inexperience "handling/learning as i go along" will affect my "role" with the dog later? :rolleyes:

First congratulations on your new pal and welcome to the wonderful world of Border Collies. I also experienced "culture shock" with my BC puppy. It does get better once you work out the right balance of routine, exercise, play, training/goose dog work and rest. It's only been a few days, so hang in there.

I'm confused about what your "role" is exactly? And are you able to discuss your concerns and questions with whoever placed Jacki with you? I'd hope they'd be there to offer feedback, suggestions, information and just support in general. Especially for a first timer with the breed.

I too am confused. Are you the dog's handler? If you are, I could see how you might confuse the dog. If she just lives with you, don't worry, that is not her JOB, she knows her job. BCs are so very smart. Give them an inch, they will take a mile. But with that being said, if you keep your home commands simple at first, sit, stay and down, I don't see how you will ruin her. But make sure if you give her a command, she does it. Do not let her slack. She has to know you are the leader, and what you say goes. If you say sit, it is sit NOW. Not a slow squat, not a repeated command, but a$$ to the grass.

If anything, just remember she is a dog. One with tons of energy who no doubt would love to play a great game of ball!

We would all love to see some pictures! Keep us posted!

Sorry for the confusion. Initially, I volunteered to be the "host family". My daughter had shown interest in our local 4H clubs Guide Dog program, and myself such a BC fan, we'd thought take a bigger role as handler.

Unfortunately, due to recent developments, we are only able to be the owner.

Just this morning was our first outing with her intended "handler" Ward. Things went well, for Jackie seemed to be ok with Ward at the lead as long as I'm not in direct view. Jackie shows promise of adapting to Ward and her role in time.

Will keep you posted. Will work on getting some pics online too!

Thanks again! MotherGoose )