BC Boards

Show me, don't tell me

muddy bob

I know some have wondered why I bother to assist stock setting at some of the arena trials. Aside from the fact that my OH persists with his beloved ACDs and I will always do anything to help him, it does give some of the competitors the chance to see a good BC.

At this certain trial there are always a couple of BCs from a breeder that puts as many titles on her dogs as possible including conformation ones. I particularly like setting for this trial because they offer their "B Course" which is supposed to be like a very small ISDS course dumbed down a bit. This year they tried to set the extremely squirrelly katahdins with another dog. Since they only knew my BC who is now deceased they did not think to ask me with my boy. The "stockhandler" (who works with rotties) assumed my three year old would be too inexperienced. Well they got desperate when things were not going smoothly and the other dog lost the sheep and finally they asked me if I thought he'd be up to it.

I have always been a "show me don't tell me" sort of person so it pleased me to no end to be able to show them a real fine BC juxtaposed with the dog from conformation lines. The difference was glaring and I never had to say a word.

We often forget that for many the only "working BC" they will ever see is a mediocre arena dog that is often impressive in the eyes of spectators because they know absolutely nothing of what the breed is capable of. This is one of the reasons I get my dogs out there helping.

muddy

Just curious, was this other dog who couldn't handle the job a BC? What lines was it? How old was it?

Lots more goes into how a dog handles flighty sheep than pointing the finger at one reason for failure.

Many times the handler of said dog has NO clue how to read stock, and the dog works off that- not much of a chance eh?

Julie

• 3 weeks later...

You know, muddy, I didn't see anything wrong with your original post. There are lots of folks and their dogs that I like or love, but that doesn't mean they are capable of doing a particular job as well as someone else with a different dog, for whatever reason.

I became a member of an AKC affiliate club because that's where I began puppy class (and then family dog class and agility class, etc.) with my youngsters before I even had a clue about the "Border Collie wars" and the negative influence AKC has (in my opinion) on the present and future of working dogs. I now maintain my membership because I have true friends there and, more importantly, because I assist with puppy and family dog classes, and I believe these classes are a true benefit to our community.

There are folks I like and enjoy there but I don't share their opinions about a number of things. I try to utilize any opportunity I have to educate folks about what a working-bred dog is, what it's capable of, and why I don't "believe" in conformation breeding and showing. But I do try to be tactful and thoughtful of others' feelings, and not offend.

I'm grateful you had a chance to help out with your dog and show what a working dog could do with competent handling. Someone may have learned a valuable lesson that may make a positive difference in their life and in their future with working dogs.

I don't think you were callous - I think you were speaking your mind among friends here...