BC Boards

Tri-color Saddle backs.

Meg's mum

Where did the Tri-color saddleback come from?

"GirlDog" I - c1959-1970 was a stray that we found dying in the middle of a busy Avenue in the Bronx. I took her to the vet across the street, paid for her rehab out of my savings and allowances and took her home to our family. She was a tri-color saddleback with very crisp symmetrical markings.

"GirlDog" II - 1973-1987 was a rescue pup from the pound. Mother went through hard times and couldn't care for her properly so I took care of her for the first few years we had her on a former small holding farm. Then had long visits with her the rest of her life. She was a tri-color saddleback with very crisp symmetrical markings - and in my opinion, the most beautiful creature that ever lived - even if you never saw anything but her eyes.

I vowed that someday when I had enough space I would have another border collie and so I went looking for one, armed with the belief that this color pattern was very common (coincidence didn't seem possible). I looked for someone who was near (in state), had good references, worked agility and sheep and whose dogs had stockdog ABCA pedigrees - and who bred tris.

I corresponded with them long before Meg was born, and knew I would take home one of the pups from Quinn and Abbi's 2005 litter. All of them were predominately black and white with touches of tan, Meg is split faced and has a light tan cheek only. The moment I met her when she was only 4 weeks old it was all over. One of the boys was symmetrical with tan eyebrows and oh so handsome, but that meant less than nothing to me. Meg was the runt, and she seemed to have a strange fascination for me - and such eyes. There was something eerily familiar about those eyes even then. Now, I have to say that with the exception of her coloration, she reminds me so much of GirlDog2 that I find it hard sometimes not miss the old girl when I look at her.

Its the special quality of this collie that is so important. I firmly believe that however beautiful the markings and symmetry found in some of them, they are even more beautiful for their diversity. It seems just as shallow to judge them by their appearance as it does to judge humans that way.

Its the special quality of this collie that is so important. I firmly believe that however beautiful the markings and symmetry found in some of them, they are even more beautiful for their diversity. It seems just as shallow to judge them by their appearance as it does to judge humans that way.
I agree, to me all BCs are beautiful dogs. I knew i'd never own any other breed, before i got my first. (Foo) When she past away i thought i wanted another split faced. But the dog for me ended up being the "standard" blk. and wht.

zagsleep.jpg

Zag is a wonderful pup, he has helped me get over the sense of loneliness left by Foos sudden departure. I hope to someday be able to invite more then just one into my life. I would love to be able to foster, but i am unable at this point in time. I also have a feeling i'll want to adopt everyone i foster! *snickers*