BC Boards

good grief how can anyone be this dumb?

this website was posted on another site, good greif. haha ok ok I just read more of it, now its just making me laugh out loud, we all must be awful people on this board making our dogs work in horrid dangerous situations, where no one can possably assess a dogs ability to work, afterall they cant possably have the enugh beuaty to do the job! :rolleyes:

http://www.ultimateshowbreeder.com/index.html

read the section intitled "working" this part just made me :eek:

Working dog people do not care what their dogs look like and pay no attention to conformation. How can they assure their dog is of a proper working structure? The answer is they can't. Their dogs are never given a proper evaluation of their capabilites in the show ring. Their conformation is never assessed for proper working sturcture. They are too busy "working" their dogs. Their dogs aren't breeds, they are mutts. The training methods are barbaric and the working breeder often purposefully try to eliminate a breeds naturally full, beautiful coat because they are too lazy to provide proper humane and adequate care for their dogs.

I have read and heard a lot of BULL S=== but that web sight takes the case.

I breed Working Border Collirs * 5 litters in 22 years and I guess that make me a back yard breeder in there eyes. I only breed when I am ready for a pup for myself. I only breed the best working dog to the best working bitch.

I have refused to breed britches to my stud dog due to the bitches not show me they could make the Broder Collie a better working dog. I could sure use the money due to us trying to live on disable pay. Not close to what I was making when I was working.

I don't think you can find a Border Collie in rescue with my name on the resteracetion papers, and I am proude of that.

If I can not make the breed better I will not breed dogs again. Boyh of my dogs are proven trial and farm working dogs. The stud has won a lot of open USBCA sheep trials and placed in a couple of cattle trials. The bitch is still not a winner but watch out she will be there soon.

I appoliage for rining my bell, but that web sight made my blood boil. I will be happy to go head to head with them working there dogs in what ever type trial they want to. I would bet the farm ther dog s could not gather sheep at 400 yrds. much less 800 plus yrds,

ohhh my....I have never shown my dog.(bc)..nor is she a working dog...but..she came straight from the farm of working parents...and I (far from an expert in either field) think these ppl are nuts...I was in awwwwwe,,,everytime we visited her parents..and watched them ..absolutley "perform" the job they were bred to do......NOW that is a show dog!!!!!!

If you 'click' on the "Thanks for your support" at the end of each of the sections, you will find that this is a sarcastic & over-the-top slam at conformation & show ring type followers; listing many of the breeds which have been ruined when purpose & function come way after looks in importance. So relax, this is just an exagerated spoof.

That site COULD have been really funny. It's a hilarious idea, it's just that the writing wasn't quite over-the-top enough to clue in the casual reader that they were reading a spoof. You kind of have to suspect that something is "up", at least a little bit to get the humor out of such an elaborate ruse.

Of, course, the scary thing is that all those attitudes really are out there. Just not all in the same place, thank goodness!

I have mixed feelings about this website. I'm not personally a fan of the kennel club culture, but at the same time I think it works fine for a lot of breeds. I'm a fan of canine diversity, and there are a heck of a lot of breeds that just wouldn't exist if it weren't for "fanciers." I do NOT NOT NOT think that Border Collies should be part of this world, and I also think that it has served a number of breeds pretty poorly (GSDs come immediately to mind). But, at the same time other breeds have done well within it. There are worse reasons to breed dogs than to end up with pretty dogs who are pleasant companions and pets. For some breeds, like Border Collies, it isn't enough, but that doesn't make it wrong for other breeds. For example, I also have a Papillon, and I think it's a perfectly good paradigm for breeding dogs like Papillons.

Another thing I don't like much about this website is that it could be construed to actually SUPPORT backyard breeders and puppy mills. The fact of the matter is that in a lot of breeds, conformation breeders really are the only responsible breeders around -- all you have to do is look at the toy breeds to see this. Toy dog breeders who aren't breeding for the ring (and to a lesser extent, performance activities) are invariably breeding just for kicks, or for money, or because they think their own dogs are SOOOOOO cute, or whatever. I'm afraid I agree with the "ultimate show breeders" that in these breeds, for the most part, people who aren't breeding for the ring shouldn't be breeding.

No dogs of any breed should be bred unless they are the best of their breed and will improve the breed if bred. In Border Collies, we judge our dogs on the basis of working ability. Other breeds are different and are judged on the basis of conformation. Just because it's wrong (and I do believe that it is WRONG WRONG WRONG, just in case anyone gets confused) for Border Collies doesn't make it wrong for other breeds. Those other breeds might not be my cup of tea (never mind that there is a Papillon in my lap as I speak), but hey, the beauty thing about dogs is that there's a dog out there for everyone, no matter what your taste. I'd never trade my Border Collies in for a Bichon, but at the same time there are plenty of Bichon owners I couldn't pay to own a Border Collie.

Oh, and the "thanks" page lists "English Spaniel" as a breed that was "ruined" by the show ring. I'm not sure what they mean here. There is no such breed as the "English Spaniel." There are English Cocker Spaniels, King Charles Spaniels (sometimes known as English Toy Spaniels), Cavalier King Charles Spaniels*, etc. and it's unclear which breed is being referred to. I would tend to take this site more seriously if they actually knew the proper names of the breeds that have supposedly been ruined by the breed ring. ("Shepherd" is misspelled as well. I have found that one of the hallmarks of GSD backyard breeders is that they are incapable of spelling the name of their own breed, although "Sheperd" or "Shepard" are more common than "Shephard.")

I don't know who maintains this website, but it doesn't sound like it's done by working enthusiasts. It really reads like sour grapes from some backyard breeders who want justification for their poor breeding practices. While there's a lot I found amusing here, the entire site left a sort of bad taste in my mouth. There's a lot wrong with kennel club culture, but the fact that "dog fanciers" think there should be standards for breeding animals isn't one of them.

* Cavs, I would agree that the breed ring has been bad for them. This is a breed that has nearly universal mitral valve disease, that as a small breed should have a normal lifespan of over ten years but usually only makes it to eight due to these heart problems. You would think it would be a priority to breed for sound hearts in this breed, but no -- I've read firsthand accounts of healthy hearts being excluded from breeding programs for stupid reasons like "he had too much white." You'd also think it might be a good idea to outcross to some other closely-related breed that has healthy hearts and a larger gene pool, but the whole closed studbook concept doesn't allow that.

You know, I had the same reaction - that it sounded more like either a backyard breeder or at the very least a "volume" breeder with loose working ties (such as breeders of supposed hunting beagles). I got that impression from the "Profit" section, which is prominently placed at the top. Reading it knowing it was supposed to be a spoof, it made me wonder just how important it WAS to this person to have breeding for profit considered to be OK.

Oh, well.

I'd love to see a bit of judicious cross breeding to save some of these splendid breeds that are getting bred into extinction (I use that in the general, not scientific sense of that word, Melanie! :rolleyes: ). What a fun exercise it would be to consider what breeds one would use.