BC Boards

puppy mill registries

Eileen Stein

I'm vaguely aware that there are certain registries that will "register anything," which are used by puppy mills to give the dogs they produce the appearance of being high class purebreds.

If anyone can give me names/information regarding any of these registries, I would appreciate it. Feel free to reply privately to eileen@bordercollie.org.

Thanks.

See a list at the No Puppy Mills website:

http://www.kimtownsend.com/pmregistries.html

My new rescue Pap came with "papers" from one of these fine registries -- registered to the Hunte Corporation. His first owner bought him at a pet store.

The little maggot is fine. I have nearly succeeded in eliminating the pogo-stick/ricochet behavior (highly reminiscent behavior, by the way, of most of the Jacks I know) and he is learning the meaning of "stay." He will fetch anything and hang off a tug toy, has become Fly's good playmate and has thus far avoided provoking Solo into eating him. So all's well. We start agility classes next month.

Interestingly, I am having an email conversation with a Pap breeder about breeding for sports. Apparently it's happening in Papillons now too. I have discovered that Skeeter is pretty closely related to a famous agility Papillon who was also originally a pet store purchase. Same mill, I guess. Wonder if the sport Papillon breeders will go to those "lines?"

Oh, and to keep this on topic, Skeeter's papers are from the "United All-Breed Registry" but they were researched from the AKC studbook.