BC Boards

herding,farming,sheep,cattle question

graciesmom

I admit it. You guys have given me the bug (DH is very unhappy with you). I have always been a city girl, but DH just got here and he likes it. Doesn't smell like cow poop.

There are actually about 600 questions, but I will start with one or two. And for now I will stick to the dog part of my list.

There seems to be a very different attitude and culture when people post from eastern or upper midwest areas vs. attitudes and ideas of people from the southwest on non-coastal west. It isn't something I can put into words very well and is more evident at other sites, but it seems that in one area working dogs are talked about only in terms of working (not thought of as family pets, but just another part of the ranch). This also seems true for dogs working primarily cattle and not sheep. I don't mean they aren't being treated well, anyone who puts all of that time, effort, and energy into a properly trained dog is going to take care of it and grow attached to it. It just seems to be a very subtle difference in attitudes.

Second, what is the difference in land requirements for cattle vs. sheep/goats? And what are market differences?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Candace

My dog is my partner. I make him comfortable aas his needs require - he happens to be a dog so he's pretty happy with the 1" rubber floored kenell space, built under a porch overharng and siding to keep him out of the weather.

Come of my dogs are inside. Most sleep in crates and one sleeps loose - Msggie. At 8 years old she still creates substanstial ventillation in socks, slippers, or other more ummentationble itemm.

When you work evey day with an animal like this it's like you get to know them and they get to know you - and you can read each other's mind's. No need for the animal phycic here, I can tell you what that lad is feelin'.

Candace,

I know the attitude difference you're talking about: animal vs. pet. In the first case the dog is viewed as another animal to be cared for and treated well, but not doted on. The second case involves more doting and focused affection. Pets are more likely to be housedogs while the others are rarely allowed in the house. I don't believe that this attitude difference is geographically based; however, I have noticed that those raised on a farm are more likely to view a dog as another animal while those raised in the suburbs are more likely to view a dog as a pet. Most of ours are pets that happen to be working dogs, one or two are just working dogs.

As far as land requirements for cattle vs. sheep, I?m not real qualified to answer this question since we?ve only had sheep. I can tell you that there are general rules of thumb for stocking rates (animal per acre) that may give you some idea. These stocking rates will depend upon the quality of the pasture and the feed requirements of your animals; the feed requirements vary even among sheep breeds. We like to under stock so that when we have dry years we?re not forced to either feed hay in the summer or sell off some sheep. We?re stocking at 4-5 per acre on pasture that I?ll call average in forage quality. Perhaps, someone with more experience with other livestock will jump in here.

Mark

You gotta be nuts to get into cattle. They demand much more time than you would ever think possible. Even if you only keep 6 head of brood cows, you still need a bull. Granted you can do AI but that in itself requires knowledge about cattle reproduction. ie: when is the best time to call the AI guy. We have had cattle for our entire married life, 26 years. I have been kicked, stepped on, trampled, pooped on. There is nothing like getting splashed with poop soup. It gets in you eyes, ears, and hair. I could go on for hours.... Calving season alone is a days worth of talking. :rolleyes:

But.... when you sit back in the newly growing grass, with the sun shining down on you and watch the calves race up and down the bank, seemingly playing tag with their other wobbly, long legged friends.... it almost seems worth it. The meat is unlike any you can buy in the store (especially if you have your packing house age it properly before it is cut up). And if you allready own the land, it can help you qualify for a property tax break in most states.

Be forwarned, you will need good fences, shelter, tractor (hauling manure), manure spreader, feed storage for winter, cattle handling facilities (corral, chute, headgate...), trailer to transport cattle to sale, truck to pull the trailer and boots...real tall ones! :D

Yeah. I've been around cattle lots more than sheep and I like sheep lots more. Cattle are a lot more likely to hurt your dog(not to mention you, DH, children and anyone else who gets in their way). They'll bust up your property and tear up the banks of your streams.

It's kinda like big dogs and little dogs, sure they have a lot in common, but the logistics get componded for the biguns. Nevermind the sheep are stupid thing. They aren't. They're smart, smart in a sheepy sort of way. I have never had a cow look at me and consider the way my sheep angel's lead ewe does. I am so happy to have rediscovered sheep after all these years!

As for the animal's as property thing. Many, many farmers and ranchers are closet animal lovers. I have never known one to look askance at kindness to animals when it doesn't make it difficult to feed and cloth their families. AND, you can't match the supportive attitude you get from folks who respect the usefulness of your dog in addition to thinking of it kindly because it is one of God's creatures.

We have friends who are dairy farmers. I only see them occaisionaly. The kind of folks you see at the county fair and pick right back up where you left off last year. She told me this year at the fair that they were down to 5 BC's. All 5 are in the house. One is so arthritic, from years of getting the cows in, that they help him up the steps to the bed room every night. But if you think this tough old German dairy farmer would admit this at the local sale barn to his friends, I doubt it.