BC Boards

Reg. and technical question

UpNatEm

So say your buddy for30 some years breeds and herds and has well known lines(working and trial) everyone wants.They breed their dogs and while they are pregnant the breeder dies. So another breeder comes along to help take in a dog or two and one is the already pg bitch. When it comes to registering the litter the new owner lists as breeder herself. Not right don't ya think? Slam to the original person who was well known? I did contact the registry for a heads up and what would they do.

I have no experience with this but here is my take....for what it is worth.

How did the new owner take title to the pg bitch? Did someone from the estate transfer the papers? It would seem that the new owner could not register the litter until the papers of the bitch were properly transfered. The bitch is an asset of the estate and ownership would need to be transfered as such.

The registry is AIBC because both parents are AIBC an the bitch had gone to her new home"so to speak" one week after delivering the pups so the new owner had the mom and litter already and the papers show the owner of the sire and dam as the deceased one but the new owner listed herself as breeder. This bitch then went on to find herself a good working home after pups left.But why sign the papers with your name if you weren't the one who bred them in the first place and didn't own the dog at the time? As far as I know the dog's registration was never transferred to this new person.And it shows on the papers.

Sue

At least in some horse breeds, transferring papers is not necessarily required to be listed as a breeder- leasing a mare, for instance. I'd guess that since the original breeder was deceased and hadn't signed a breeding certificate, to get the pups registered the lady listed herself as breeder, not necessarily ethical or moral, but probably not illegal, either. I'd query the AIBC as to their rules for registration, but I was under the impression that the AIBC's rules and regs were rather open to interpretation anyway. That's why I'm an ABCA member.