BC Boards

potential puppy buyer

sea4th

First of all, at the risk of sounding like a snob & ignorant too, here it goes:

I have a gentleman interested in one of my pups to replace an old BC. He runs a herd of dairy cattle. He doesn't want to shell out the $$$$ for a started dog. All the dog would have to do is take them out & bring them in. That's fine, not a problem---a dog with a purpose & one that it is bred for. It's the most I would wish for any of my dogs.

Here's my concern. I think this gentleman is Mennonite. I know the reputation Amish have for the way they treat their animals, but I don't think this would be the case here. Sounds like any dog he has would be a valuable asset to his operation. I like that.

Does any one have any pros & cons to share with me re: their experiences with Mennonites?

Another thing, at the risk of sounding stupid, the pup is 10 wks. old. It's been a cold winter & she probably won't be in the house. I'm concerned about a pup that young going directly into the barn at this time of year.

What do you all think?

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki,

Not to generalize the Mennonite population which we have in abundance in this area,including our next door neighbours,I would definitely shy away from letting them take an animal who isn't spayed or neutered.

They do really take care of their animals,pups are checked by our local veterinarians as of 2 weeks and they really bring them in every week until they are 8 weeks old. They also breed the s*** out of them,like in every cycle.

I know these people by their first names and I really like and respect many things about them,however,they do operate in another dimension when it comes to making a living from stock (cattle-sheep-goats-horses-dogs-cats) or land.

Actually, for the most part I feel OK about this. I just had to get a couple of questions out of the way, and it's by no means a done deal at this point in time. And I totally agree with you and your Dad on this issue, Amy, because I usually function on gut feeling. When I've gone against it, it's come back to haunt me.

Inci, your reply was what a was looking for. So that being the case, since the pup in question is about 8 wks. old at this time, what does everyone think of an early spay. For the most part, I wouldn't do it with my own dogs, but I see the necessity for this procedure in rescue & shelter situations. If this pup would otherwise have a decent life, maybe an early spay before she leaves me wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Whaddya think?

Vicki

Vicki,

An Akbash breeder out in Kansas spays or neiters her pups prior to shipping at 10 weeks. Her husband is a veterinarian and they see no reason why they shouldn't be. OTOH,I wouldn't dare,especially with male pups since their plumbing is far more complicated than females.

One thing you can do is to hold the paper until spaying or neutering. Mennonites care whole lot for papers not for only breeding purposes but the way I understood their reasoning was,papers equals known animal. This was in the case of horses but will give you an idea how they feel.

Also,you could start exposing your pup to the outdoor elements prior to going to the new home.

Start with crate filled with straw,after his walks,put him away in a shaded area or after dark for few hours at a time. You could also add some peanut butter to his meal or biscuit to give him extra fat to convert into heat energy. May get little runny for few days. Oh,well.

Good luck on whatever you'll decide but your pup will have a very clean home with Mennonites.