BC Boards

USBCHA elections

amc

According to the USBCHA by-laws, the Directors elect from the membership the President, Vice-President and Secretary to two-year terms. The candidates, nominated last evening, are Kent Kuykendall and Mike Canaday for President, Susan Carvalho and Dan Gill for VP, and Francis Raley for Secretary.

I would encourage all members to contact your District Directors with any input you may have. Districts and their Directors can be found on the USBCHA website at www.usbcha.org

On this subject, do people think the Officers should be elected by the Directors, or should they be elected by the entire membership? If elected by the Directors, should they have to be an elected Director also? I'll look forward to your opinions and ideas!

Amy Coapman

USBCHA District 1 Director

[This message has been edited by amc (edited 12-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by amc (edited 12-11-2002).]

Amy,

I want to thank you for speaking out here on the boards and informing the USBCHA members about HA actions.

Having attempted to make my desires known to my directors, I have to say that I think the entire way the board conducts business could use an overhaul (IMO).

Frankly, had you not posted here I would not have known about the elections, and despite the fact that you posted here, I still was too late to really have my say with my directors as they had apparently already voted.

I'll admit that I do not check the USBCHA web site on a daily basis, but I strongly believe that the membership should be informed of important upcoming votes in a timely manner so that we can in turn have time to contact our directors and let our wishes be known.

If the BOD doesn't want to do this, then they should just stop the charade and label themselves as the ruling junta and be done with it.

For what it's worth, I think members should elect the officers directly. It makes sense for the officers to have served as BOD members. I also strongly believe that terms should be limited, at least for the office of President.

Julie

Julie -

I totally agree that the election should be by popular vote. I contacted my two directors and one is being very positive and is glad to be hearing from members of his district, and wants to represent us and do what we want. The other didn't even bother to answer me.

-Robin French

Hmmm....since we are in the same district, I can just guess which is responsive and which is not!

Well maybe if enough is us speak out to our directors we can get something going to make the HA work better for us!

On an off-topic note, I met a sweet Ben pup while Christmas shopping at Acredale Saddlery yesterday....

J.

Amy,

I've rethought my earleir response and I have decided that I don't think it's absolutely necessary for an officer to have been on the BOD first. Being on the BOD might lessen the learning curve for the person taking office, but it also might limit the slate of candidates too much (as in the membership might want someone for president, etc., who was not previously on the BOD but who might be a tireless worker for the good of the HA).

J.

Hey, I thought you were in VA?

That pup would be Kit, littermate to Jet the wonder-dog. Watch for Jettie on the trial field soon! Great pups....

As for officers coming from the BOD, it's fine with me, but i'm wondering if they still have a vote, or do they abstain from the election they're running in?

-Robin