BC Boards

selling puppies

Caroline

Hi Everyone,

I am just sad to see the paper full of Christmas animals for sale. First BC pups , and a local number with no sunday calls. Then the same number a week later for Papillion pups. No sunday calls. I was in PA a couple years ago when Lancaster county was in the news for some Mennonite and Amish families running puppy mills. The no sunday calls got me thinking of that. I am trying to get our dog club to donate some money in January to help with rescue at the local shelter when animals get turned in after the "HAPPY HOLIDAYS". As my Charlie ages I just thank god he is with me and our family and God Bless all of you that love your animals.

Caroline

Just as I no longer "stroll" through shelters, I very rarely look at the ads for dogs, BUT, I did this Sunday.

Yes, I would say, "no Sunday sales" is a sign of an Amish "breeder". Here in Ohio, we have our share of them. I should know---I have one, a severely epileptic BC bitch. One ad that really ticked me off was one for Golden Retrievers that said: (paraphrasing here), "Not a breeder" (they made sure to emphasize that. Would the litter be here without them? Probably not---then you nimrods! you're breeders!). "grown in loving, home environment with both parents on premises." (Hmmm! I guess those nasty breeders don't do stuff like that!). "Bred for desirable rare light color". (Good selling point. It's not only a golden, the ultimate family pet--so no need to consider anything else, for a golden will always be a golden, no matter what, so you might as well breed for the rare, desirable light color. Reminds me of the idea that as long as a BC is bred to another BC, it will always work, because that's just what a BC does.) "Ready for Christmas". (Since we're not breeders, we can sell them as Christmas gifts).

Reading in between the lines of ads like this, would be "college tuition for junior coming up. Gotta pay off the new living room furniture. Times are tough. Gotta have $$$ for Christmas. What's cuter than a rare-colored, desirable puppy under the tree---hardly a person out there that doesn't like goldens!" and---"hips? what about them? Yeh, they all got hips. Eyes?? Huh? They can see!" (plus, kinda cuts into the profit margin.)

Sorry for ranting, but the results of ads like this will start showing up in shelters, if they're not hit by a car or chained out back.

Thanks for biding with me.

Vicki

Hi!

I used to regularly scan the newspaper pet ads (don't anymore), but this one really got to me. I saw an ad, "AKC *insert uckie noise here* Great Peerynees *misspelled - if they knew anything, they'd spell it correctly* puppies, great family pets *pyrenees are NOT the pets for just anybody, and this assumes that they are*, (insert prices and phone number here)". Then, two months later, "4mo Great Pyrenees puppy, AKC, free to good home". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened.

Fealomwen and Alex

[This message has been edited by Fealomwen Edhel (edited 12-04-2002).]