BC Boards

Anyone have any contact with Arizona BC rescue?

Sorry, no contact help, but just wanted to tell you to be patient. If you've contacted the rescue already, give them adequate time to respond. These rescues are run by folks who generally have day jobs, and who do rescue out of love (certainly not for the money) :rolleyes: .

My Allie is from a rescue in Wyoming (I live in Salt Lake City) and I was so very impatient to adopt a dog. (I didn't end up with the dog I originally had wanted from the internet, because after I spoke on the telephone with the rescue folks, they had a dog they thought was a much better match for my family -- and they were right!) It does take time to process applications, check references, match the dogs to prospective adopters and have someone do a home inspection. These things are in place to protect both YOU and the dog!

We did the "long-distance" adoption and it has worked fabulously, but it did take a little time. It can be done, but we did have to travel to see our dog (although the wonderful rescue folks met us half-way - and we did reimburse them for the gas.)

We will probably be adopting a "sibling" for Allie next spring, but I will [try] to be a little more patient this time.

I wish you luck in your pursuit of a BC and hope that it all works out for you!

Thanks for the reply!

How long typically does it take for the rescues to get back to you once you've submitted your application?

I submitted mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a peep! I e-mailed some of the "Contact Us" links on the main page but haven't heard anything there either. :/

Not complaining - just anxious!

I just got approved for our new place so I can now pick up my new BC even sooner than I had originally expected.

How long did the whole adoption process from your initial contact to final result take?

Thanks for your input.

Well, I would suspect it depends on what is happening with the folks at the rescue right now (maybe someone is on vacation and they are short-handed, etc.).

Did you fill out an on-line application? If it's been two weeks, I would probably go ahead and send one more polite inquiry e-mail to all of the contact e-mail addresses notifying them of your changed housing situation. Be sure to give them all of your contact telephone numbers.

I glanced at the Arizona Rescue webpage and it looks like they have also been having a few problems with their application, so it wouldn't hurt to e-mail the contacts.

Good luck to you!

This is a very bad time for rescues. People tend to get a dog in the spring and are tired of the dog by summer. Spring puppies are entering adolescence. And fall means increased drains on time for most rescuers, some of which may be involved in competitions, others of which might have kids going back to school or work in retail which is gearing up in preparation for Black Friday. So more dogs to take in, fewer volunteers to meet the demand.

I always tried to make sure our rescue realized that prospective adopters were vital to moving dogs through (and making room for new dogs), but it's very easy to forget that when you are attempting to save the lives of dogs that might be hours from death and hours of travel away from you. You keep saying, OK, tonight I'll sit down and catch up applications, make those phone calls (each of which might last an hour or more). But maybe the dog you came home with comes down with kennel cough, or coccidea or giardia, or you find out the dog is HW+, and there are the other dogs you are fostering to train and socialize, and geez, there's your own dogs, too, who have forgotten what you look like!

Two weeks IS a long time - I would have been horrified if my org got that far behind, but I tended to take a lot away from my real life to pitch in and catch things up before they got to that pass. It took literally hours every day to keep up with correspondence alone. Sometimes I'd work wiht the dogs all day, or do all-day transports, then sit at the computer all night. Recently I was diagnosed with a mood disorder that requires I be very careful with my sleep cycles, so I can't do that anymore.

Here's an idea- offer to help. Transport is a good way to get involved without any prior experience. You can also help man a booth at any events the organiztion might be attending. But remember, don't get huffy if your offer to help ALSO goes unanswered. Unfortunately, sometimes a rescue is too swamped even to follow through on offers to help!

In summary, it's nothing personal. Be patient. If you were actually rejected, you would be informed as soon as the application was reviewed.

Originally posted by Rebecca, Irena Farm:

This is a very bad time for rescues. People tend to get a dog in the spring and are tired of the dog by summer. Spring puppies are entering adolescence. And fall means increased drains on time for most rescuers, some of which may be involved in competitions, others of which might have kids going back to school or work in retail which is gearing up in preparation for Black Friday. So more dogs to take in, fewer volunteers to meet the demand.

I actually find I have more volnteers as the fun and frolic of summer fade away, but I also find that there are a lot more dogs in need too. We are overwhelmed with dogs at the moment and they just keep coming. I am keeping my head above water - barely.

RDM

Hi there........

I work with Arizona Border Collie Rescue, and am a foster home. If you email me privately perhaps I can help. We have been swamped lately, and seem to have gotten behind in replying to you. Have you specifically mentioned a dog that we have in foster care that you are interested in?

Also...may I ask...I see that you are from San Diego....why are you not going through BC Rescue in California? Just wondering, as I am sure that they have lots of lovely dogs as well.

Usually the adoption process takes a few weeks, so please be patient. A home check is almost always required, and since you are from out of state that may present a difficulty, or may not, I am not sure. But our number one concern of course is to fit dogs into homes that will best suit them.

Let me know if I can help.

D'Elle

Originally posted by D'Elle:

Hi there........

I work with Arizona Border Collie Rescue, and am a foster home. If you email me privately perhaps I can help. We have been swamped lately, and seem to have gotten behind in replying to you. Have you specifically mentioned a dog that we have in foster care that you are interested in?

Also...may I ask...I see that you are from San Diego....why are you not going through BC Rescue in California? Just wondering, as I am sure that they have lots of lovely dogs as well.

Usually the adoption process takes a few weeks, so please be patient. A home check is almost always required, and since you are from out of state that may present a difficulty, or may not, I am not sure. But our number one concern of course is to fit dogs into homes that will best suit them.

Let me know if I can help.

D'Elle

E-mail sent

I love this message board!